Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lat Pulldowns

Ilike to superset lat pulldowns with chins. I do as many chins as possible, than I move to the lat machine and I start reletivly heavy(go until failure) than i drop 30-40 pounds go til failure- drop another thirty and go till failure. I do the lat machine behind the head with the chins in front. A total of four sets done in little time. this method has really shocked my body initially into growing, but im sure that i would have to change it up soon.

You read correct

Personally I never go behind the kneck and my back is doing just fine

I also started doing rotator cuff exercises recently

Flat bench and shoulder routines can damage your rotators too, so you should do them regardless

if you can hear a popping or clicking sound in your shoulder when you workout, that means theres inbalance in your shoulder

remedy: do rotator cuff exercises

I GET CLICKING!!!

what should i do (sorry for shouting but im worried!)

Well the form has to be absolutely perfect

its up to you, you might get away with it, you might not

I prefer to be prepared either way

Quote:

"Weight lifting & Rotator Cuff: Weight lifting is a common cause of rotator cuff injuries. Many lifting exercises can be modified so as to protect the rotator cuff and avoid reinjury. The basic concept is to avoid positions which will impinge the tendons. A practical way to approach this is to draw an imaginary box which extends from your chin to your hips and is shoulder wide. Modify your lifting program so that your hands stay within this box. For example, do your pull downs in front of your body rather than behind your head. Avoid flys. Instead, use the nautilus pec machine with the range of motion restricted to avoid excessive hyperextension of the shoulder. Do the bench press in a more limited arc so that your elbows never break the imaginary plane (don't let the elbows extend behind your body). An additional pearl. Do pull ups and other similar exercises with your palms facing towards your face. This places your shoulders in external rotation moving the most vulnerable portion of the rotator cuff out of the way of the acromion."

I do flyes free weight and bench like everyone else despite what it says in that quote, but make sure I warmup properly and do the cuff exercises. Ask how many people on here have got rotator cuff problems and how they got them, I bet theres a fair few!!
http://familydoctor.org/handouts/265.html

the rest you can lookup, do a search on rotator cuff exercises in altavista, google etc. I think theres a couple more you can do that I do, but its difficult to describe them.

[This message has been edited by Liberator (edited April 06, 2001).]

Another thing,

I once did a search on the archive on this board and someone had mentioned the fact that presses infront (and pulldowns etc) of your head (as opposed to behind the kneck) can build up the strength in your external rotators (back of shoulder), this can additionally be bad because it can overpower the strength of the internal rotators (front of shoulder) and force the shoulder permanently forward in the socket, causing pain, this then makes the internal rotators rub on the joint, wear out and tear eventually, someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe this to be the case.

Remedy: do rotator cuff exercises

I am no total expert on training and injuries, but personally I am gonna implement them full blown into my routine as I dont need that kind of problem knocking me back a year or so.

Personally, I stick with only weighted pullups. For cable movement I do reverse grip pull downs which is one of the few excersizes which really work the lower half of the lats that give a tapered look and after this close grip pull downs. I feel that if you cant get 12-15 reps with your own bodyweight with pullups you need to work on strength. Nothing and I repeat nothing will put more size on your back than wieghted pullups. Its an old school staple which has shaped some of the biggest backs in BodyBuilding. LOL

Top Bottom