Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Larger body parts - less sets / Smaller body parts - more sets

R

revexrevex

Since larger bodyparts can handle a lot more stress than smaller bodyparts, is it not logical that they need more time to recover, and less sets for stimulation? Meanwhile smaller bodyparts can be hit with multiple sets, and because of the lighter load they will recover much faster? Any opinions or observations?

good post sinj, and you're definetely right. I was just thinking of an example - rear delts and chest. With chest, after 2 high intensity sets, it is totally dead,... meanwhile if I do some facepulls I can easily do 10 sets of 10 reps, without them being fatigued, and they will recover in only 2 days, while chest will take close to a week to fully recover.

rev, so many variables involved with recovery, not sure if there is a definitive answer. deads, squats cleans and presses all hit the 'smaller' muscle groups. there are pharmacological nutritional, anatomical and cns issues to consider as well. i suppose it depends on your goals and how often you are able to train, eat and sleep. the best gauge is how your body and psyche are responding, so experimentation may the way to go. im in my mid thirties so recovery is more difficult than 10 or 15 years ago. wish i had the resources and inspiration available on this board fifteen years ago!!!

well, try facepulls every three days and see what happens to your upper body lifts. i have been hitting heavy bent over laterals twice a week and have found that my ohp numbers are going up. (also working speed presses for six sets of three periodically) i feel stronger off the shoulders, so the rear delt and speed work did help. strengthened a weak link? find your weak areas, whatever they are, pound them and see what happens. if the weights go up, you are making progress. simple but true.

If anything I'd do more volume for bigger muscle groups because it will have a greater overall impact on both invidual muscle and systemic hormone conditions.

I find that overall, my entire body needs about 8-9 days between lifts for adequate recovery be it small or larger groups. I recently switched my routine to where I was only taking 7 days between, and I noticed that my gains were stalling, I felt less full, and was overall lethargic as well. I switched it back to one muscle group per day. That way, I can focus all my energy on that one group, without having it in the back of my head that I have another one to do afterwards. I really can get WAY more intensity with that type of routine. Especially when it comes to leg days. Having to do the whole leg in one day(like I was doing after I switched) is just too overwhelming to me, especially if I am whipped already when I get in the gym. Being able to focus on 10 sets for just Quads or Hams, is alot easier than 20 overall when training them all in one routine. ANYHOW :D , small or large groups are the same as far as rest for me. Abs included. I do feel though, as far as REPS go, that the smaller muscle groups such as calves & forearms require more high-intensity REPS, moreso that weight for growth. 10-15 on calves(and 15 straight on ALL forearm lifts) and a serious burn, will make my calves grow moreso that sets of 3-8 reps anyday. As far as sets, I generally do more for the larger groups than I do for smaller ones. Although I do do 12 for forarms, but I dont really do anything for bis, so it evens out. I only do 6 sets for calves, as I feel that I get decent calf work while training Hammies. Abs I do 7 sets total.

Top Bottom