Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Krav Maga or MMA first?

I've found a reason to frequent these boards again! Why can't I login under my old handle? Anyways...

Reading through these, I'm curious as to how many people have done what they're recommending. Alright, so here we go. I'll draw on my references from being a small bouncer (which does change the approach of things), well, at the time 5'6 183. Now, I'm considerably smaller and can't absorb punches as well, but I'd choose the same techniques. In a street fight, with someone who has no skill, I'd pick boxing. Most street fights don't last that long, and a boxer has numerous advantages; speed, technique, etc. I think the only time I ever have used anything I've learned in BJJ is a choke hold, very effective but only to stop a very bad situation. It takes considerably longer to learn how to properly roll, do take downs, get in guard, locks, and strikes in BJJ than in other 'sports'. I've never gone to the ground, and don't want to, in a street fight despite the majority of my training coming in BJJ.
It depends on the situation with someone w/skill. I'm drawing on my experience training. Against a Muay Thai fighter/Kempo/Karate fighter I'd go to the ground as fast as I could. Thai fighters are trained to absorb hits, so I'll probably get beat up quicker than I could strike. Otherwise, the latter two are going to kick eventually, and then I'll take them down where I'll more likely than not be better than them. A boxer, I'll try to use my kickboxing skills, because I can keep space between us and they probably won't be very good at taking me down (unless they're just huge).
What's the point of this? I think MMA are ultimately better but will take a far longer time to learn, not to mention master. Krav Maga is good, they have a school where I train, but against a good MMA I don't think they'd be better off. If you have the time and dedication to learn each MA to it's fullest, it's going to be better. I don't know a single Krav instructor who doesn't know some other MA. To say, just because the Israeli SF uses it doesn't mean anything. Our Army SF, the Rangers, uses BJJ, but also uses lots of other MA/defense. That doesn't mean it's the best, nor does it mean that they solely use only that without incorporating other arts.

The beauty of MMA is that it includes ground fighting. I come a from a wrestling backround and I don't really know much else. Because I have such short stature and limbs, I try and take a fight to the ground immediatley. Not having any groundfighting skills is more than just a disadvantage in a street fight. You can hit me once, but if you don't knock me out im gonna be on your knees in a second and have you on your back taking spades in the face in just a few more seconds. Don't believe the effectiveness of groundfighting/grappling? Watch Matt Hughes from the UFC. Ohio State wrestling champion.

GodOfThunder said:
The beauty of MMA is that it includes ground fighting. I come a from a wrestling backround and I don't really know much else. Because I have such short stature and limbs, I try and take a fight to the ground immediatley. Not having any groundfighting skills is more than just a disadvantage in a street fight. You can hit me once, but if you don't knock me out im gonna be on your knees in a second and have you on your back taking spades in the face in just a few more seconds. Don't believe the effectiveness of groundfighting/grappling? Watch Matt Hughes from the UFC. Ohio State wrestling champion.

Wrestling and grappling is great for fighting one on one...

Go to two or more and you'll end up on the ground for sure.

TJ4 said:
Guys, I have done a lot of reading and research on Krav Maga and we just got a school where I live, however I was planning on getting involved in MMA fairly soon anyway since I found a very good school in my area. My question is should I go ahead and take the Krav Maga and hold off on the MMA or the opposite? I want to take Krav Maga because I've read good things about it but the MMA school teaches everyghing from Muay Tai to BJJ to Kali. I am looking to obviously be able to defend myself but I also like the sport aspect of it too. Oh, and this would be my first martial arts experience. What would you do if you all had the choice right now because of course I can't take it all at once, I don't have time. Any advice would be appreciated fellas.

TJ
danabolic right I teach MMA and I put in some Krav Maga but your going to get more with MMA all around fighting.

Top Bottom