Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

knees past toes on ATF squat

kiosk

I've gotten better on ATF squat form, but my knees pasy way beyond my toes when below parallel, no pain or anything but I was wondering if there is a problem with this, my back also still rounds a bit when below parallel.
It really happens with or without weight on my back.....

That stress' the patella tendon.
If you box squat with a box (or bench) about 2" below parallel you'll learn how to sit back with the weight when you squat so you won't have to shift your knees forward to maintain balance.

kiosk said:
I've gotten better on ATF squat form, but my knees pasy way beyond my toes when below parallel, no pain or anything but I was wondering if there is a problem with this, my back also still rounds a bit when below parallel.

ive found that when peoples backs round its usually lack of flexibilty in the lower back/hams, maybe do a few light sets of good mornings or sldl's at the end of your sessions, that often seems to do the trick.

kiosk said:

Try keeping your toes off the ground while you squat. That'll make it a lot harder for you to have your knees go past your toes.

According to Mark Rippletoe:

"In a correct back squat, there is essentially one correct place for the knees: slightly out in front of the toes, the exact distance being determined by the anthropometry of the individual, directly in line with the foot so that the femur and foot are parallel and congruent."

He goes on to say "the knee could be anywhere from directly plumb to the toes to three to four inches in front of the toes."

as long as it is going out the same angle your toes are pointing, then you should be good.

thanks for the tip...I am 6'2'' with rather long legs, I find it difficult to ever be able to squat without the knees going over my toes somewhat.
I dont feel any pain during or after squatting like this, actually I have less knee pain when I started ATF squats than when I was stopping at parallel.

I can only keep the knees from traveling beyond the toes in the smith machine, blah!!!!

Are you sure your knees are not bending inward when you come out of the hole? I know my knees used to hurt when I was doing this.

depends on your stance. if you are using a narrow stance (oly style) then it is going to happen. if you are using a wide PL style stance then it shouldn't

Top Bottom