Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Killed at the gym

I just typed out a super long post and realized it would be better said in a condensed version.

If it was a heart attack I feel sorry for the kid and his parents loss.

If the kid got himself killed being a dumbass that's one less idiot on the planet.

I just typed out a super long post and realized it would be better said in a condensed version.

If the kid got himself killed being a dumbass that's one less idiot on the planet.

Lol that "survival of the fittest" thing is great when it's not you or someone you love. Think of all the mistakes you made when you were younger. Imagine if this was you or your son. Just trying to give a different perspective:)

that's pretty messed up.

the kid just joined the gym the day before, he was probably brand new to lifting.

how many people do you know who were automatically experts their first day? everyone's a dumbass when they first start something, especially something as intricate as weightlifting.

A bit uncalled for? probably... He is dead so in the least show some respect, fair enough if he couldnt think to start light and work up then he was being a bit silly either way it is tragic.

Ya and everyone needs their hand held these days and everyone's a winner...

I don't disagree it's tragic for the kids parents and friends.

Doesn't make what I said any less true.

at 19 with no help and no idea of what he was doing I don't think some of you are being very fair.

I had a great high school coach to spend time with me and teach me proper weightlifting and safety... . this kid probably was laughed at when he went into the schools weight room and no one ever took a minute to give him advice.

I think everyone posting should make a pledge right now if they see a kid at the gym they will compliment them first, and then give them some small advice. that would mean a lot to them.

I never set foot near a weight till 21... First thing I did was had a friend that had been training for neatly a decade and that was a trainer by profession go with me for two weeks and show me how to use every piece of equipment and spot me. It's just common sense to get help with an unfamiliar mechanical device, and sense to have help close when manipulating loads that are heavy though to kill/maim. Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

Yeah it's tragic he died, but the fault is only his for not having someone in the room with him. Even if the machine was in proper order and he'd been doing this 30 years, shit breaks. Never train alone. When straining your body even it could fail leaving you unable to summon help unless someone is there to notice.

I never set foot near a weight till 21... First thing I did was had a friend that had been training for neatly a decade and that was a trainer by profession go with me for two weeks and show me how to use every piece of equipment and spot me. It's just common sense to get help with an unfamiliar mechanical device, and sense to have help close when manipulating loads that are heavy though to kill/maim. Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. .

Really? Before you ever set foot into a weight room you had an old vet come and show you every piece of equipment and spot you for two weeks? Honestly, I applaud you, but no one else does that. They should, don't get me wrong, but that rarely happens. I think it should be noted that you were 21, thats pretty damn old to start lifting compared to the social norm of starting up around 16. I'm not trying to insult you at all by the way. You had more experience and understood the risks better than most KIDS who show up for they're first day of weight training.

Luckily my dad set me up with a personal trainer fairly early(14), a guy who made me go way too light. I think any ounce of muscle I gained during the two months with him was purely from puberty because he made lift next to no weight. However I learned gym etiquette from him, lessons that many kids my age still don't understand. Having said this, I can still remember having a 100 lbs. barbell, with plastic weights filled with compacted sand(thats what it felt like), sitting on my chest more than a few times. I was only 14 and had that been a smith machine I would have been royally screwed.

Ghetto, normally I would agree with the survival of the fittest perspective. About 95% of the time its the position I take on most issues like this. However, maybe I have a soft spot for rookies because I can't completely blame this kid for his actions. Very few people regard weight training as dangerous, expecially reckless teenagers(yes 19 is still a teenager). He had no idea about gym etiquette and I don't really think he should be held responsible for his actions. Hear me out, if I went to the gym and loaded up 405 on the smith machine, ignored the lack of safety spots, and then made an attempt and got my neck crushed in it would be 100% my fault. What about if a first time lifter did the same exact thing, can he really carry the same responsibility as someone who had been lifting his entire life.

Maybe it was a bad example, all I'm saying is maybe we shouldn't be too cynical.

Top Bottom