Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

John's Training Log

jjt72976

well a little info about me..
im 30 yrs old 5'7" and 155ish lbs im a member of other forums and like that these places exist, as i do not go to a gym due to lack time (good excuse for confidence). i have built a very nice (in my opinion) gym in my garage. ihave just about everything i feel i need to build a healthy lifestyle and a nice physique while getting stronger.
ive been lifting for approximatly 2 years i have followed ws4sb, chad waterburys abbh1&2, along with his total body training program and few others. ive never really finishing any due to the fact that i was bored with them after 6 or so weeks my most recent endevour was ws4sb modified version that i did for about 8-9 weeks and had good results in strength. since then ive started the linear 5x5 program. i am currently in the second week of it and am feeling very good. as most can see from my previous post i like to make vids of my lifts for critics. i see no harm as im just trying to get the form correct and dont have access to a trainer.
my goals are to get to about 170lbs by christmas. we will see how that works as i eat any thing i want when i want or dont want. i keep no food journal as the last time i did i got burnt out with it. i do try and keep track of my protien intake and thats all. as time goes on this will probably change.

enogh rambling from me my next post will be what ive done up to this point with 5x5..
thank you for the time
john t.

Last edited by a moderator:
these are my begining numbers before i started 5x5

squat--205 x 5 as seen in this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5csvfQ-1D6w
(still working on form)
frt sqt-190 x 2 bad form
dead -- 225 x 5 as seen in this video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MqQVZXEYVjg
bench--165 x 1
inc bench--135 x 1
dips -- 80 x 1
row--??

so my first week looked like this:
(all squats with 12" tall box, bump and go, to focus on form)
monday
squat:
100x5x2,130x5,155x5,180x5,205x3 (last set very hard realigned program)
fl benc:
75x5x2,95x5,115x5,135x5,150x5
bent row:
65x5x2,80x5,100x5,115x5,130x5 (just seemed to easy so i realigned these numbers also)
2sets hypers and 4 sets dec situps

wednesday
squat:80x5x2, 115x5, 135x5, 135x5
in bench: 75x5x2, 90x5, 110x5, 125x5
deadlift: 100x5x2, 125x5, 145x5, 165x5
dec. situp:3x15 bw

friday
squat: 95x5x2, 110x5, 135x5, 155x5, 185x3, 135x8
bench: 75x5x2, 95x5, 110x5, 130x5, 150x5, 115x8
row: 75x5x2, 95x5, 115x5, 130x5, 150x3, 110x5
dips bw+45x6x3
ez bar curls 70x7x3
tri extension 20x10x3

Last edited:
thurs. 6/7/07

warm-up:
5 min jump rope, 2sets of 10 overhead squats very light, and 2 sets of 10 standing military press also very light

SQUAT: 95x5x2, 115x5, 140x5,160x5, 180x4 (built a new box that sits at 8.5 inches from floor gonna lower weights again to get this form correct)

BENCH: 75x5x2, 95x5x2, 115x5, 135x5, 150x4, 150x2 (didnt rest enough between 135 and 150)

BENT ROW: 75x5x2, 95x5, 115x5, 135x4, 135x5, 150x5 (my grip sucks droped 135 on 5th rep of first try so i put on the straps and tried again) 150 was real bad (not complete ROM) thinking that has to do with my deadlift attempts last night.. my upper back is very tight

ASSISTANT WORK:
2x10xbodyweight hypers
3x15xbodywieght decline situps

Last edited:
Re: other forums??

I would work on your squat form more, your first 2 reps where good but your last 3 you didn't go deep enough, also It might help if you use lighter weight and concentrate on going deep, maintaining a steady speed and stop fidgeting so much, if you worked on those things your form would be very good.

Sculelos said:
I would work on your squat form more, your first 2 reps where good but your last 3 you didn't go deep enough, also It might help if you use lighter weight and concentrate on going deep, maintaining a steady speed and stop fidgeting so much, if you worked on those things your form would be very good.

yes i agree about the form. i have since begun to use a box on all squats to be assured i am going deep enough. i have also lightened the load in order to get proper form.. as for the figiting i tend to feel uncomfortable after a few reps and feel i must adjust my feet a little although they always end up back to the original position.

sat. 6/9/07

warmup:
5 min on treadmil/jump rope
45x15x2 overhead squat
45x15x2 standing millitary press

squat: (using 8.75" box)
105x8, 105x5, 120x5 w/pause at bottom, 140x5, 140x5

incline bench:
85x10, 85x5, 95x6, 105x5, 120x5

deadlift:
140x5, 140x5, 160x5, 180x5, 200x5

assistence work:
b.w. x15x3 -decline sit ups
grip work -static holds- what i did was load one end of the barbell with 60lbs, grap the end (the largest part of the bar closest to the weight) and hold it off the rack pin 2-3 inches for 45 sec. 3 sets on each hand

--today i did all my lifts with no gloves and no straps just to see if i could hang. i must say it was quite different but i feel reel confident it wont be hard to get used to it.

-- i have also changed to a shorter box for squats. the box measures at 13"x13"x8.75" the Point at which i actually touch the box is 8.75 inches from the floor

-- i have attached a link to a new video that shows me deadlifting 200lbs with no straps or gloves. also using the box (set at 13"). i would like to know if this will be as effective as a box squat to help me get my hips lower while doing deads. it seems to help..

link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a875Sd33NIM

**how do i keep my shins from being bloody??

again all comments are appreciated
thanks, john t.

I found that it helps to wear flat shoes when I'm lifting, running shoes have a tilted angle to them and I am not as balanced with them, therefore I scrape when using them. If your still not balance with regular shoes then shin guards are an option.

Using the box for good form is good if it helps you, whatever works I would just try to avoid using straps as your grip will suffer if you do.

nice job on DLs. just remember to continue standing/pulling UP, don't finish and then pull back. these flaws usually lead to and give hints to hip mobility issues.

you keep your shins from being bloody by pulling straight. if you use your back too soon the bar is being pulling inward too soon, scraping your shins. good oly lifters usually have very little shin scraping because of heavy leg involvement, however powerlifters may differ.

why are you using the box on deadlifts?

also, scrap the box on back squats. work on getting full range in your pelvic girdle to hit some full squats as you may be close.

super_rice said:

why are you using the box on deadlifts?

also, scrap the box on back squats. work on getting full range in your pelvic girdle to hit some full squats as you may be close.

i use the box for depth judgment when its not there i tend to use awful form or not enough depth for dls or squats.

im definatly gonna get some flatter shoes

thanks for the comments
john t.

Interesting post by super_rice on the DLs. Until you get your form ironed out, you can just wear some high tube socks. Easy for me; I workout at home so I don't care what I look like.

As for squats, I do mine Olympic style and ATG, so no need to worry about a box. If I were doing a more PL style squat I might use one, as I couldn't go ATG with a wide stance--my hips would never take that. I'm guessing that you have a medium to wide stance, as you had moderate forward lean but knees not much past toes.

Different kinds of squats have their place. I'm not saying that you have to do one kind or another, but I would recommend that you go as deep as your flexibility allows without rounding your lower back.

FWIW, I think that this post has a good description of the difference between Olympic and powerlifting style squats. Keep in mind that a lot of people come somewhere in between; it's not necessarily either/or.

Top Bottom