Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

JM press wts.

cal

High End Bro
Platinum
ok i just started doing them. i think i have it right now. before i was doing a paul dicks press, which i have to say seems cool but even when done very strict, does bother my elbows. i reall notice this tenderness when i try to bench heavy a few days later. my elbows feel tender though not really bad pain, just feel like they are a bit beat up.

ok, well i normally can bench press around 275x6 for two sets. my close grips best is 255x7 and 285x1 (this was done after military presses though). when doing the jm press i was lowering the bar to about the very upper pecs/almost collarbone area. i only could do like 185x5 and it was pretty hard. i will next time probably stick to 175 for a little while to get used to it...is this really weak for JM press?

i know this varies, but what would be a good goal for JM presses, compared to regular bench?

CAL

JM's

That's a really hard question to answer. A lot get about 75% carryover. JM did 530x3 before benching 690 at a meet. As for me I think mine is a bit higher, possibly around 85-90%. I have pretty strong tris but have a weak part that I have yet to figure out. I hope this helps somewhat.

JM's are really an assistance movement but it wouldn't hurt to work up to sets of 3-6. My elbows and tendons are all tore up so Jms are weak for me. Good Jm cal , if you bring it to your neck, not all the way down but4-6 inches above it, it will be even more effective and alot harder to do.

I don't do JM's for a max effort movement, I do them after speed bench for 2 weeks, then go to skullcrushers for 2 weeks.

I have worked up to a triple with 315 on JM's, and I have benched 475. I don't know what percentage that is, don't have a calculator handy and I ain't that smart. My weights in the JM have gone up dramatically since I started doing them, so don't sweat it if you think your numbers are too low right now, they will come up quickly.

Also, everyone does them different. I have been told it is 85% press and 15% tricep extension. I try and keep it there. But I have heard from some people that if you are doing more than half your bench, you are not doing it right. Each to his own. I can do a skullcrusher down to the bench behind my head with close to half my bench, so I don't know that the half your max theory holds much water.

B.

Everyone is confused over a JM press because they are many different variances in the JM press. PEOPLE DO IT DIFFERENTLY so its almost impossible to convert a JM press and compare it to a bench press.

In the seminar videos Simmons, Tate and Mat from westside all demonstrated their JM presses and they were all noticably dissimilar from each others.

I have started to do the JM press the way that Simmons does it. Bring the bar straight down over the clavicle, stop it. tilt back and press it up. It looks just like a carpet press without the carpet. Actually one of my training partners told me I was doing a carpetless carpet press (If that makes sense!) but it was a JM press. Just to give you an example I used around 150 for a set of about 8 or 9 my first set and my raw max is around 400.

We don´t use JM presses on ME days here in South Florida

If i do them its after boards usually. I do nto know if i do them correctly. Mine look almost liek a nose breakewr brought to my chin. I have 405 for 3 and probaly could have got 3 with 430ish. There is no way i would max on this though. To dangerous as far as i m concerned, for 1 rep.

JM's

I don't know if mine is like that or not. I lower straight down above the nipples, I go down to about 5-6" off my chest. At that point my arms won't go down anymore. I pause and press back up. I have read different articles by Louie and Dave and they both say to do it different ways. Louie has said to do it two different ways, this way works for me and doesn't hurt my elbows like extensions.

You can check with a few others...but I am pretty sure that Louie Simmons says that if you can do more than 70% of your 1rm...then you are cheating.

B True

Is that raw or shirted? I mean hell i get around 540 ish raw, and 620 to 30 ish shirted. 100 lbs is the difference in my shirt. So wouldnt that very? Lots of guys dont get 100lbs.

Jm did 530 or so for 3 before doing 690. 70% of 690 is like 485lbs. I think it depends on your strength. I dont use percentages at all and thats why.

Top Bottom