Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Isolation & compound excersises .....HELP?

JeetKuneDo

Iv been lifting about 8months now. Im a hardgainer and just getting into correct form etc. I was wondering if someone could explain the diffrence between Isolation & Compound lifts and if possible give examples?
Deepest Regards
Omid

------------------
"i said empty your mind. B formless shapless like water. U put water in a cup, it becomes the cup, u put water in a bottle it becomes the bottle. Now water can flow or it can crash ... b water my freind" - Bruce Lee

Compound movements use multiple muscles. The most basic compound movements for your routine should be:

Squat
Bench
dead
shoulder press (BB or DB)
Row
curl

Actaully you could do this for an entire routine if you did only 1 set each when each set goes to failure.

If you're a hardgainer as you put it, then you need to eat more to gain.

The reason i didn't write anything about isolation exercises is because they don't exist. You can't completely isolate a muscle. The closest to isoalating a muscle would be cable crossovers/flyes and preachers curls. I'm sure there are others like this but they escape me right now.

No matter what you are doing, the body is always gonna try to get other muscles to pitch in to make it a bit easier.

Ok cheers mate :) ... you helped alot, appreciated.

------------------
"i said empty your mind. B formless shapless like water. U put water in a cup, it becomes the cup, u put water in a bottle it becomes the bottle. Now water can flow or it can crash ... b water my freind" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by Robboe:
Compound movements use multiple muscles. The most basic compound movements for your routine should be:

Squat
Bench
dead
shoulder press (BB or DB)
Row
curl

B]

No.
By definition, compound exercises are multi-joint not multi-muscle. For instance, all the above exercises you listed are compound movements but curls (either hamstring or bicep) are not. Movement occurs at the elbow or knee only, hence it is not a compound exercise.

The isolationary exercises you are referring to are movements like pushdowns, curls, calf raises, leg extensions, etc. They involve only one articulation (joint) moving.

Robboe is right in saying that no movement exists in which you can make a muscle contract all by itself. Stabilizers will always play some role (in an isometric sense), even using machines. Although they can be minimized, they cannot be eliminated.

If you are a hardgainer and fairly new to the game, stick with heavy, basic compound movements and eat lots of protein. Squats, bench, and deadlifts should be the majority of your routine but don't be a stranger to some isolatioary work. You're a bodybuilder not a powerlifter, right?

------------------
Backstage, '75 Olympia:

Serge Nubret, "I look like I can take you."

Arnold, "Keep looking."

Excellent call gentiking, i had another post open at the same time. I was supposed to put chin. Thank you for pointing that out.

You are also right about the multi-joint. I was just breaking it down and making it easier for Jeet. I really should have put the real definaton.

Hey thanx for the info, sorry about the delay in reply ..... yeah im a bodybuilder .... altho a small one! :)

------------------

Top Bottom