Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Injury - Diagnosis

clarity

Now i know no one here has a phd, as far as i know, but i'm just looking for a little advice from someone who can help me maintain my ability to lift through an injury, as i'm pretty sure that a doctor will tell me to take a break from everything. The pain is in and around my elbow, however it feels alot deeper then that, and predominately flairs when i do skull-crushers, dips or chins. If anyone knows any remedies for this, or anyways to work around this. Also if anyone has any idea what type of injury this is, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

When my elbows flair up I always ice them after a workout. Like you said, I should rest them but I usually keep working out. Through trial and error I have found out which exercises cause more pain. Skull crushers and any barbell curls hurt the most. Dips aren't good either. For me, triceps cable extension and DB hammer curls caused the least pain. I use less weight and do less sets. This usually gets me through a few weeks until the pain goes away. If it doesn't or if the pain is severe, then you need to stop and see a doctor no matter what.

Rebecca D

Is the pain on the inside of your elbow, the outside of your elbow, or beneath the olecranon process(the actual bone)?

Sounds like lateral or medial epicondylitis (tennis/golfers elbow) depending on the location of the pain, but its hard to tell just from dialogue.

In any case if it becomes severe and begins to limit your daily activities I would head to the doc or better yet skip it and go directly to a physical therapy clinic that takes walk-ins if your insurance will cover this without an MD referral.

Until then try alternating grips and exercises that feel like they are stressing the joint less, ice the painful region (ice massage/ice packs/ice wraps), and try dropping the weight a little bit.

Agree with the above....just want to add a bit. The best thing to do is stay away from exercises that might cause you pain. Agree with the idea of hammer curls as if it is tendonitis, it can help a bit. I powerlift and use elbow wraps with liniment such as icy hot inside them to keep them warm. If I know I am already in pain, I usually take an alleve before I train and as the above poster said, make sure to ice the area.

I would also suggest going in and getting it checked as it is too hard to give advise when I can't really see the exact area nor do we know the exact area...tendon? Bone? Muscle?

I friend of mine used to do behind the neck presses all day long without a problem. I tried them once when I was younger...it caused pain....have not done them since. Listen to your body.

sounds like tendonitis in the elbow.. very common injury.

avoid anything that makes the area hurt.. your body is telling you something.

unfortunately tendonitis is gonna come and go as it pleases.. icing it down might seem like a good idea and will bring temporary relief, but long term it will slow down healing. might want to find a acupuncturist and try to get some relief from them, also deep tissue massages around the area will help

sounds like tendonitis in the elbow.. very common injury.

avoid anything that makes the area hurt.. your body is telling you something.

unfortunately tendonitis is gonna come and go as it pleases.. icing it down might seem like a good idea and will bring temporary relief, but long term it will slow down healing. might want to find a acupuncturist and try to get some relief from them, also deep tissue massages around the area will help

I agree with steve. I hyperextended my elbow 6 weeks ago and am barely getting back to workin out next wednsday. Go to the doctor, do what he tells you, i felt fine after 4 weeks of doin pretty much nothing and give my elbow all the rest in the world. So in week 4 i tried some tricep cable-extensions with 30lbs... I felt a pop and my elbow gave out. Didnt hurt, i just couldnt support weight. Doc said i have to wait 6 more weeks because i reinjured it. And now it might never even be right again. So just take some time off, it might not feel serious but see a doc, take care of it so you dont have problems the rest of your life like i might now. Just focus on lower body for now. And if it is tendonitis you can still do chest flys and pullovers, those dont require bending the elbow.

I had this same pain a few months ago. Went to the doctor and found out that I had golfers elbow. I was prescribed Prednisone and the pain went away in about a week.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Top Bottom