x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -

Increasing Vertical Leap

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about Increasing Vertical Leap within the Weight Training & Weight Lifting category.

Excerpt: What is(are) the best workout(s) for increasing vertical leap? What kind of rep range would I do for that workout? I love playing basketball, so improvement in my vertical would really help. thanx

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Increasing Vertical Leap

What is(are) the best workout(s) for increasing vertical leap? What kind of rep range would I do for that workout? I love playing basketball, so improvement in my vertical would really help. thanx

Read up on Plyometric training, and try adding some Olympic lifts to your workout.

Try this: for a leg workout...

Superset heavy triples of squat with squat jumps. Those are when you squat down and reverse direction to jump as high as possible.

I suggest 3-4 sets total for the circuit.

So,
    Heavy X 3 Tempo: explosive
    Immediately: Squat jumps X 10, explosive

Rest like 3 minutes in between circuits. Do 3-4 times total. You could probably handle this twice/week.

This works because the heavy triples increase your maximal strength, while the squat jumps increase rate of force production and train your connective tissue's elastic properties.

-casual

Good Broly
    squat jumps? ouch! that has to be hell on your joints. Am I misinterpreting in thinking that you would literally jump feet off the ground for these?

Cyborg
    Leg exercises are overrated for the vertical leap, look into plyometrics.

-sk

squat jumps? ouch! that has to be hell on your joints. Am I misinterpreting in thinking that you would literally jump feet off the ground for these?
    Yup. But no more hell than basketball, or soccer, or football, etc.

Amateur Bodybuilder
    This will increase the strength in the joints if done properly. You are using enough weight so that your feet dont come off the ground but a few inches, so the impact isnt that spectacular. I believe running for 20 minutes or so would cause more pain.

I recently started doing jump squats again and I cant believe how much jumping/leg speed I have after just one session. I may change back to a heavy/de type split.

Cyborg
    Originally posted by PolishHammer1977

Why do you think they are overrated?

Before you can begin plyometric work it is definitely a must to have weightlifting experience.

You must learn how to squat. It simulates the bottom and middle point of a controlled jump. At the same time you are strengthening all the muscles in your body. Everything.

Stretch day and night. Believe it or not some people can gain inches off stretching alone! What do you think happens after muscle is gained?

I could not write out a routine for someone that I know nothing about. This is strictly the beginning. Trust me, some people never get to the beginning let alone the end.
    I have talked to a few basketball coaches and they said plyometrics has nothing to do with squatting and it won't help much.

I could dunk now, and I could dunk before with the same ease ... but my squats have increased greatly in the last year ...

-sk

slobberknocker
    Thanks to plain old heavy squatting, I can now dunk at 6'2, 342 lbs. In the words of Hatfield, "There's something to be said for just being God-awful strong."

Cyborg
    Originally posted by PolishHammer1977

Can those basketball coaches jump 40+ inches?

Do they squat?
    Coaches don't necessarily have to know how to jump, but they can teach other people to jump. Not every personal trainor looks great, but they usually know what they are talking about.

I've never seen a single person from the basketball team squat (at my college), yet every single one of them can jump and jump high.

-sk