Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Increasing Vertical Leap

epark84

What is(are) the best workout(s) for increasing vertical leap? What kind of rep range would I do for that workout? I love playing basketball, so improvement in my vertical would really help. thanx

To jump higher you must train the muscles that will allow you to do so.

Basic principles of squatting will help you. Learn form.

Stretch often.

Where are you from a weightlifting standpoint?
Any experience?
What can and can't you do?

Last edited:
Try this: for a leg workout...

Superset heavy triples of squat with squat jumps. Those are when you squat down and reverse direction to jump as high as possible.

I suggest 3-4 sets total for the circuit.

So,
Heavy X 3 Tempo: explosive
Immediately: Squat jumps X 10, explosive

Rest like 3 minutes in between circuits. Do 3-4 times total. You could probably handle this twice/week.

This works because the heavy triples increase your maximal strength, while the squat jumps increase rate of force production and train your connective tissue's elastic properties.

-casual

squat jumps? ouch! that has to be hell on your joints. Am I misinterpreting in thinking that you would literally jump feet off the ground for these?

squat jumps? ouch! that has to be hell on your joints. Am I misinterpreting in thinking that you would literally jump feet off the ground for these?

Yup. But no more hell than basketball, or soccer, or football, etc.

This will increase the strength in the joints if done properly. You are using enough weight so that your feet dont come off the ground but a few inches, so the impact isnt that spectacular. I believe running for 20 minutes or so would cause more pain.

I recently started doing jump squats again and I cant believe how much jumping/leg speed I have after just one session. I may change back to a heavy/de type split.

sk* said:
Leg exercises are overrated for the vertical leap, look into plyometrics.

-sk

Why do you think they are overrated?

Before you can begin plyometric work it is definitely a must to have weightlifting experience.

You must learn how to squat. It simulates the bottom and middle point of a controlled jump. At the same time you are strengthening all the muscles in your body. Everything.

Stretch day and night. Believe it or not some people can gain inches off stretching alone! What do you think happens after muscle is gained?

I could not write out a routine for someone that I know nothing about. This is strictly the beginning. Trust me, some people never get to the beginning let alone the end.

PolishHammer1977 said:

Why do you think they are overrated?

Before you can begin plyometric work it is definitely a must to have weightlifting experience.

You must learn how to squat. It simulates the bottom and middle point of a controlled jump. At the same time you are strengthening all the muscles in your body. Everything.

Stretch day and night. Believe it or not some people can gain inches off stretching alone! What do you think happens after muscle is gained?

I could not write out a routine for someone that I know nothing about. This is strictly the beginning. Trust me, some people never get to the beginning let alone the end.

I have talked to a few basketball coaches and they said plyometrics has nothing to do with squatting and it won't help much.

I could dunk now, and I could dunk before with the same ease ... but my squats have increased greatly in the last year ...

-sk

Top Bottom