Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Increasing Vertical Leap

sk* said:

I have talked to a few basketball coaches and they said plyometrics has nothing to do with squatting and it won't help much.

I could dunk now, and I could dunk before with the same ease ... but my squats have increased greatly in the last year ...

-sk

Can those basketball coaches jump 40+ inches?

Do they squat?

Thanks to plain old heavy squatting, I can now dunk at 6'2, 342 lbs. In the words of Hatfield, "There's something to be said for just being God-awful strong."

PolishHammer1977 said:

Can those basketball coaches jump 40+ inches?

Do they squat?

Coaches don't necessarily have to know how to jump, but they can teach other people to jump. Not every personal trainor looks great, but they usually know what they are talking about.

I've never seen a single person from the basketball team squat (at my college), yet every single one of them can jump and jump high.

-sk

power = speed x strength

there is no best way

strengthen the muscles used in jumping, teach you body to apply the strength with speed, optmise and boost the stretch reflex = big vertical jump

and off course practise technique - jumping itself.

you can see plyos are not the be end of all - without much strength you won't be applying much force if you just do plyos.

They may look like they jump high, but I doubt many of those guys could break 36inches standing flat footed and jumping straight up. You need a lot of explosive strength for that kind of jump.

When i started lifting with my lower body like 1.5-2 months ago my vertical was 20.5(yea go ahead and make fun) BTW i am WHITE!!! haha......But but 2 weeks ago i was up to 22 inches. I figure i might get 22.5-23 now.
Not too bad of gains.
cain

i dont know exact measurements but i did air alert 3 and it put me from grabbing the rim to dunking

its a repetative jumping program, worked well for me. Msg me and i could hook u up

sk* said:
Coaches don't necessarily have to know how to jump, but they can teach other people to jump. Not every personal trainor looks great, but they usually know what they are talking about.

I've never seen a single person from the basketball team squat (at my college), yet every single one of them can jump and jump high.
-sk

If you are lucky enough with genetics than why not enhance them? Why wouldn't you want to be faster, stronger, and have the ability to jump higher?

There are players out there right now today working much harder than you. They aren't judging programs and routines on what their "coaches" say. Their using trial, error and science to make the ultimate body for sport.

What college do you go to?
Do you have a strength coach?
Are you in a sport specific program?

Honestly, without getting all defensive realize what I am saying here. Read the words for what they are and improve yourself. If you don't, it's your teams loss as well as your own.

PolishHammer1977 said:

If you are lucky enough with genetics than why not enhance them? Why wouldn't you want to be faster, stronger, and have the ability to jump higher?

There are players out there right now today working much harder than you. They aren't judging programs and routines on what their "coaches" say. Their using trial, error and science to make the ultimate body for sport.

What college do you go to?
Do you have a strength coach?
Are you in a sport specific program?

Honestly, without getting all defensive realize what I am saying here. Read the words for what they are and improve yourself. If you don't, it's your teams loss as well as your own.

Bro, I don't play for any team or anything. And my comment wasn't based on anything too credible, except just a couple things that I have heard and noticed here and there ...

I do love playing basketball, but as of now it is nothing more than just a pasttime.

The way I progressed to be able to dunk was just trying to dunk, eventually it happened ... I am pretty tall though, 6'3+.

-sk

Frenzy,
I was doing a variation of Air Alerts. I did those back in junior high. I didnt want to do like 100 jumps so i just added some weight. I kind of got out of them now except for the burnouts. I use them for my calfs. I usually hold DBs and do about 300 or more.

Top Bottom