Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Increasing quad size without heavy weights?

danish424

I have an injured lower back (not diagnosed) that doesn't really bother me unless I try to squat/DL heavy. I have no pain whatsoever in my normal routines. The question is, is it possible to keep gaining quad size with lowish weights? Previously (like 3 months ago) I was repping front squats with 315 but now cannot go over 225 (and even that begins to hurt) as it really aggravates something in my LB and I don't want to risk it. I've found that I can do hack squats pain free. thanks to the back support, even if I go heavy and also use pre-exhaustion methods before doing squats. Like heavy leg extensions first and then squats. This way I don't have to squat big numbers (for me anyways), remain pain free and still get a good workout. Can I still grow well using pre-exhaustion methods (and heavy hacks from time to time) or are heavy weight squats mandatory? That's what I was doing until getting injured but...not much I can do now. BTW, I have tried taking 2 week breaks from leg training etc. and then squatting heavy again. It still hurts.

well the only thing i can tell you is try wearing a belt while doing hack squats..cause well thats the most devilish exercise ever created. Also leg extensions can do wonders if done heavy and with a hard conctraction right below parallel. i would also start workin in hyper extsions and rev hypers so to start the healing process:spin:

Ian king says that for a bodybuilder trying to gain size, you dont want to lift the heaviest weight, you want to make light weight feel heavy. You can do this by:

- Adjusting tempo
- Changing rep scheme

But anyway, thats just what i read, i am sure lots of people would disagree....

-Fatty

Can I still grow well using pre-exhaustion methods

No. How heavy a weight "seems" to you is irrelevant; it's all about the actual tension experienced by the muscles.

My advice would be to do whatever doesn't hurt. Pick hack squat or leg press and add leg extension.

-casualbb

The leg presses at the gym I go to aren't adjustable and aren't really good for my structure the way they are (can't bring the sled down very far without rounding of lower back). Thus I stay away from them. Don't want to imagine what would happen if I let my back round on a heavy set and with my injured back.

I haven't gone to a doc so far because I'm pain free, except for squat (both front and back). Can do BB rows and even SLDL's. So most likely there isn't any major damage.

try per-exhausting your thighs with a couple of sets of extentions and leg curls , before you hack squat ....you may wish to try slow reps ....say 4 seconds up and 4 seconds down...trust me you will be forced to use light weights.

Deepsquat: That's what I was thinking about and have been doing every other workout. My squat poundages are so much lower after 2 heavy sets of extensions that I can work my quads without harming my back. Sometimes I pre-exhaust by doing 20 rep hack squats with feet together (hits the quads very well) first and then front/back squats. Then, some workouts when I want to go heavy I'll just do the hack squat. Doesn't seem to bother my back at all.

The question was, can I increase size with pre-exhaustion, given that my squat poundages will be much lower? CasualBB said no. I'm worried because I may have to work with this routine for quite a while, until my lower back has strengthened and recovered enough to allow squats first type routines.

Top Bottom