Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Increase your punching power

JeetKuneDo

I have studied JKD bruce lees style for around 5yrs now/ There is alot more to a punch then meets the eye. "At first a punch is a punch, then a punch is not mearly a punch, then a punch is just a punch." - Bruce Lee.

1/3 comes from your arm, 1/3 from your shoulders and waist and 1/3 from your hips and legs.

With regards to the 1.3 from the arm. Im lead to beleive The straight jab and cross uses the Tricept for extension and the hook/uppercut and other related shots uses the bicept for contraction. On this thesis it seems logical to develop these muscles accordingly. ..... I know alot of the puch is skill and timeing based, but do any of u bodybuilders have any thesis of your own to share on developing the punching power, or correct me where i am wrong, all critism welcome?
Deepest Regards
omid mortazavi

------------------
"i said empty your mind. B formless shapless like water. U put water in a cup, it becomes the cup, u put water in a bottle it becomes the bottle. Now water can flow or it can crash ... b water my freind" - Bruce Lee

I've studied martial arts for quite some time, too, and the most useful thing I ever learned is this:

9/10 of a punch is the waist and hip snap. THAT'S where the real power comes from. Arm and chest strength are great, but they won't make your punches devastating. (Unless you're 6'2", 270 pounds. But who'd mess with you then, anyway?)

The strongest punch in the world means nothing if you can't hit anyone with it.

B True

True, if u cant hit with it your screwed, thats why you train with Focus bags for technique and heavy bags for power ... thanx for the comments.

as for 9/10 of the power, im not sure, more like 6/10 i would imagine, i recently read a case study conducted in Russia about it .. sorry i cant b more specific on it, i forgotten. It was where i got the 1/3 1/3 1/3 from.

------------------
"i said empty your mind. B formless shapless like water. U put water in a cup, it becomes the cup, u put water in a bottle it becomes the bottle. Now water can flow or it can crash ... b water my freind" - Bruce Lee

I've studied Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan (similar to but more traditional than Tae Kwon Do) for 15 years now, and the basis of all striking attacks comes from the waist. I've also studied some internal power generation (i.e. use of the Ki), which is actually where about 80% of your power comes from. If you are able to focus all of your energy into a smaller and smaller radius, that point at which it hits will be injured that much more.

THe argument of Ki is a long debate, i have been through it quite a bit, as u may or may not b aware of JKD is more of a martial science then that of an art. Im still very open minded about Ki, i have seen the shaolin monks demonstrate what they think of it, but i myself have yet to experience it as its not in my curriculum. Maybe im just undereducated on the subject , but my personal beliefe (not meaning to offend anyone) is that it is none existent .. if your punch is fluid and harmonies .. (like water :) ) .. then your hit will use all your body and apply a greater force. Like Bruce Lee's 1' punch .. which was based on scientific principles not an inner power as he has explained .... im still not their yet.. but getting closer. .. I am however open minded on the matter and interested any expansions you wish to make on Ki.
cheers for the feedback guys! Good to communicate with fellow martial artists & bodybuilders.

The orginal question was ment from a more physical (Strength Training persepective, but the depabe it has evolved into is also very good )

Omid

------------------

Yah, I practiced the 1 inch punch for a long time. If you throw your hips into it, it's extremely effective for Breaking.

I dunno, it's all subjective, but the thing is, you really can't train for a strong punch, I'd say. Kinetik energy= .5M x V^2, in other words, the speed means a hell of a lot more than the mass/strength. I dunno. When I was really training hard in martial arts, I had a much stronger punch than I do now, but I wasn't as physically strong. I guess my technique has just gotten rusty.

I'm curious if anyone else has any ideas besides "practice punching"

i boxed way before i started lifitng and back then i was about 110 pounds,punching at about 275pounds per square inch,train on a heavy bag and the more you train the harder you can punch

------------------
" The Lord said he can get me out of this one, but he's pretty sure you're fucked."

"Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity."

"Its not when you die its how you live"

brute strength is completly and totally outclassed by the speed,endurance,pain threshold and pure fighting skills of a trained fighter. I'm talking about real fighting(muy Thai,K1,submission) not that worthless shit they teach 10 yearolds.

Sorry, got off topic, If you train in an actual fighting gym(dojo, whatever) they should have a weighted stack machine against the wall. You just go through the punching/kicking motions with weights attached.

Top Bottom