Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Incorporating Swimming as Cardio

stock2255

I was curious as to whether any of you include lap swimming as the main source of cardio. I've always had ankle and knee problems from a previous snowboarding accident that does make me start to ache if I include cardio on top of my intermediate 5x5 workout. I'm not going to change the 5x5 because I'm seeing tremendous progress with squatting 3 times a row, but I would like to include some cardio if possible.

From researching online, i've seen some results but a majority have been from people who put swimming primary, and weight training secondary. Myself would like to put swimming secondary. I would appreciate it if you can point me in the direction of how to incorporate this 3 times a week, but in a way not to interfere with my current 5x5 plan.

Thanks.

I would start slow and ease up if I stalled on a lift - not much moe to it thatn that bro - no one is the same so I don;t think anyone can tell you what will or what won;t be too much/enough.

how to incorporate it 3x a week?

Day1...hop in pool, flop arms and legs around, get out

Day 2 & 3 repeat :)

... had to do it, lol

You're over analyzing, just do it.

I think you will be somewhat surprised with swimming that

1) It will put more stress on your ankle and knee than you were expecting

2) You will really put your upper body through a muscle workout

There is more to that F*#$(ing sport than most people give respect to.

billfred said:
I think you will be somewhat surprised with swimming that

1) It will put more stress on your ankle and knee than you were expecting

2) You will really put your upper body through a muscle workout

There is more to that F*#$(ing sport than most people give respect to.
if you're knowledgeable on the topic at hand why not give a more detailed response as to how he should incorporate it?

Swimming is hard as hell. I always remember I used to come out of the pool starving for food and exhausted... good times.

I probably was over thinking it, I'll just start slow and build it up like common sense dictates. And billfred, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was calling it a pussy sport-- much respect to those who are able to do it well. I underestimated how hard it would be the first time I tried it a few months back. I went in with the attitude that I would just swim laps for 30 minutes and call it good. 2 laps in I realized that either I'm horribly out of shape, or it really is a challenging workout. I'll go with the latter. Thanks for the help, K to you all.

I took up swimming to try and do a triathlon. I grew up in the cement babysitter (mom dropping you off at the pool for the day) so I was amazed at how bad I sucked.

I recomend you get lessons before you try anything on your own. It is all technique and breathing. I equate it to trying to play golf while you are holding your breath. It sucks.

Once you get your breathing down, it is almost ok. However, I still find at times that it bothers my knees more than running. Probably because my kick still sucks ass.

To incorporate - some of you guys who are bigger lifters than me will be able to give you the right mix. I find my chest and arms are completely spent if I am swimming a mile or more so I don't think you can do it the same day you lift.

I do find it a great way to work out muscle soreness though.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom