Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Incline Barbell vs. Incline Dumbbell poundages!

BodybuildingUniverse

Plat Hero
Platinum
What is the difference between the dumbbells you use on inclines and the barbell. For instance, I can do a 275-pound incline but NO WAY could I use 275 divided by 2: the 135's! on dumbbell presses. The most I can go is the 105's for 5 reps or so. How 'bout you?

996690549883_covers.jpg

you can't really compare the two because you have to use more stabalizer muscles to use db's. I get up to 315 bb but I only go up to about 120 on db.

It's all about what you're used to.

Most people stick with most BB's for the majority of their chest pressing exercises, so when they switch to DB's for whatever reason (variation, routine change, etc) they find they can't do near as much since DB's recruit so many more stabilizers and demand more balancing and coordination.

I prefer DB's for chest work for these reasons, plus they allow for a greater range of motion.

Lately, I've been getting the 100's for 6 or 7 reps and I weigh 200lbs with fairly long arms. Pressing movements aren't my strong suit...:(

I really can't do heavy BB inclines, kills my shoulder.

I can do 205 for 8-10 with BB. I usually use 100's or 105's for my sets on incline DB's. Last time I went light with 80's to give my shoulder a break. I did four sets with 18/21/17/15 reps. That was cool.

heavywear...I bet it wouldn't take you long to get to 135's if you can do the 105's now. Sounds like my kind of challenge!

GenetiKing said:
It's all about what you're used to.

Most people stick with most BB's for the majority of their chest pressing exercises, so when they switch to DB's for whatever reason (variation, routine change, etc) they find they can't do near as much since DB's recruit so many more stabilizers and demand more balancing and coordination.

I prefer DB's for chest work for these reasons, plus they allow for a greater range of motion.

Lately, I've been getting the 100's for 6 or 7 reps and I weigh 200lbs with fairly long arms. Pressing movements aren't my strong suit...:(

Exactly. I did the same thing. Used to be real strong on the bar, but couldn't lift shit on the dbs. Now, 6 months or so later, that's completely reversed.

Of course, if you go weight for weight, as heavywear said, they're still not even close. I can still technically lift more weight using the bar. But, like GK said, I also put up the 100s for 6 reps. Something I thought I could never do becasue when I started, I couldn't even do 70lbs for 6 reps. Now that I'm used to dbs, I doubt I'll go back to the flat bench barbell for some time.

Top Bottom