Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The importance of core exercises - Squats.

HansNZ

OK, I am a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to weight training. I would never do a weights program that doesn't include squats and deadlifts.

At the moment I am avoiding training my legs. Unlike 95% of guys I experience EXPLOSIVE growth in my legs. I just think about them and they grow like you wouldn't believe. People often comment of how huge they are. As such, I am trying to get my upper body into proportion.

In any case I am still doing squats. I would never go without them. I only use the bar and don't put any weight on it, but I start EVERY workout with squats. It has simply become part of my warm-up routine now.

I feel there is something about the movement of squats that stimulates growth throughout your whole body. It's like a holistic exercise to me. The movement, activity and technique of squatting seems even more important than whether there is much weight on the bar.

I had someone tell me this was pointless and I was wasting my time. What do you all think?

I remember reading a workout about 10 years ago in which you would start every workout with either squats or deadlift. The idea behind this is that the squats and deads would cause you to release some HGH which would be beneficial throughout the the workout.

Squats do release more growth hormone into the body, but i do not know how much. if any, would be realeased by doing just the bar. The may just get the entire body warmed up for a work out.

And i wish my legs would explosively grow like yours. mine are only 21 inches.

GH production isn't much of a factor from what I have read.

If you feel good doing them I say stick with it. A great part of lifting has to do with the mind-- if you feel positive squatting keep doing it.

Light cardio [in whatever form] is beneficial prior to hitting the weights.

-Zulu

Do them for a warm up...I have my warm up routine too.

Don't stop doing them either. My legs were the first thing to grow on my body...just be happy that you have huge legs.

B True

Its not GH - its Testosterone boost that exercises like deadlifts and squats provide, and most probably olympic style lifts. Exercises that involve a lot of muscle groups.

My legs are way bigger than everything on my body too - but I've long gone past the point of caring now since I'm not gonna be bodybuilding.
All I want is too hit someone like a freight train from sheer explosiveness and accleration, and be able to jump high and far - that means I need my legs to be as strong as possible.

BTW I've be experimenting with squatting technique, and I found that even subtle shifts in style can create a huge difference in how the squat feels and works!

Right now I've been squatting back, sorta pre stretching my hams - kind alike how one does a box squat, but off course doing it with a full squat and shoulder width stance, and boy does your hammies feel it! Ie instead of going down, you sit back as you squat.

Another subtle technique change that improves the squat is to consciously thrust your hips forward as you come up, instead of pushing up from the heels. Boy when you do this you can feel the upper tendons of your quads full stretch at the top and off course you involve the hip extensors way more - ie Hamstrings. You still stay vertical off course, but by doing this, you avoid the "good morning" effect that lots of people do, where their butt moves up while their head angle forward before they go upright. This causes the BIG BUTT effect.

So if your feeling it too much in your lower back and butt, instead of in your hamstrings and quads in a 50/50 split, then try these tips. It works, today I felt a nice pump in my hams from the back of the knee right to the butt, and the quads felt nice too all the way up to tendons under the abs.

This was with full squats too - so no more big butt excuses!
The effect is kind a like Box Hack squat - but with normal Full squat poundage!

Last edited:
The hormonal response, wrt both test and gh, is very limited. The only hormone that could be released in abundance is cortisol, assuming you did a lot of squatting.

If you are really training heavy, with high volume, and limited rest between sets, then there is a small, yet measureable amount of GH release. The amount is small enough that it would more likely benefit only the natural athlete, and then more in terms of increased fat burning. (condsider German volume training).

'The only hormone that could be released in abundance is cortisol, assuming you did a lot of squatting.
"

Doubtful unless you're squatting for 45 minutes. Cortisol release is one of the main reasons why workouts should be kept under an hour.

-Zulu

Top Bottom