Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ideal bi workout?

bran88

Well at this point in my training I feel like everything is improving except for my biceps. What are the best excercises to gain mass? How many excercises/sets/reps per set should I be doing?

Thanks!

What are your current stats?

Do you train with the basic compound exercises and give us some examples of the weights you are using? If you can't pull 2x bw from the floor you have no business doing an arm specialization program imo.

What are your current stats?

Do you train with the basic compound exercises and give us some examples of the weights you are using? If you can't pull 2x bw from the floor you have no business doing an arm specialization program imo.

Well when I work out my biceps it is part of my back, bi, shoulders. The other two muscle groups focused for that work out seem to be improving with mass and strength. I will usually do four excercises per muscle group. Starting light and finishing heavy.

I do:
4 supersets between my last back work out and standing arm curls
3-4 sets of preacher curls
4 sets of dumbbell curls
3 sets of curls on the iso-fly machine.

What about your stats? Height, weight, and bf%

I bet your arms are in proportion to the rest of your body. The best thing I have done for my bis is get really strong at deadlifts, squats, barbell rows, and chins. Along with eating a shit load of food. I know this is a vague answer, but focusing on the above lifts and getting brutally strong at them will cause your bis to grow. Your bis will only grow in proportion to the rest of your body, so focusing on progressing these lifts are key. All bicep/forearm exercise should be secondary to these. To add one inch of upper arm mass you must gain 10-15 pounds of overall body weight.

stick to the basics and go heavy...real heavy...

For an arms only workout, stick to free weights and go heavy...

I bet your arms are in proportion to the rest of your body. The best thing I have done for my bis is get really strong at deadlifts, squats, barbell rows, and chins. Along with eating a shit load of food. I know this is a vague answer, but focusing on the above lifts and getting brutally strong at them will cause your bis to grow. Your bis will only grow in proportion to the rest of your body, so focusing on progressing these lifts are key. All bicep/forearm exercise should be secondary to these. To add one inch of upper arm mass you must gain 10-15 pounds of overall body weight.

^^^^ your main compound movements are what is going to give your arms size. Not isolation movements. Think about it....you can lift tons more weight in your chest press, deadlifts, rows, pullups etc.. and are utilizing your biceps in all of those. I know lots of guys who NEVER isolate there biceps and they have HUGE arms. Certainly not from curls :qt:

Keep progressing in your compound movements and your arms will catch up!

Five foot eight, 161 lbs, 11 BF.

^^^^ your main compound movements are what is going to give your arms size. Not isolation movements. Think about it....you can lift tons more weight in your chest press, deadlifts, rows, pullups etc.. and are utilizing your biceps in all of those. I know lots of guys who NEVER isolate there biceps and they have HUGE arms. Certainly not from curls :qt:

Keep progressing in your compound movements and your arms will catch up!

Is there anyway with my back exercises and the rough bi work out I have that I'm overtraining my biceps? I mean, I know that when you do a lot of back exercises work biceps as a secondary muscle group.

Is there anyway with my back exercises and the rough bi work out I have that I'm overtraining my biceps? I mean, I know that when you do a lot of back exercises work biceps as a secondary muscle group.
Doubtful. Not sure what your program/split is but hitting those biceps more than once a week is fine. Like traz said, get rid of the machine and use free weights only (combo of bar and db). To get your weight up you might consider dropping a set and working on your rep ranges instead. Again, mass won't be built with these but imo they are a good addition to a program (assuming you have been lifting a bit and have your compound weight up - sounds like you do). No arm curls for the new guys.

I agree with SL - if you can't pull 2x bodyweight from the floor put down the dumbbells and forget the bicep workout. You can't do a thing with your arms until they are strong enough to lift heavy on your compounds. Again, I am making an assumption that you ARE looking for mass. Keep with it, don't get discouraged. We all progress differently and your biceps will come around.

Top Bottom