Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I would really like to see a pro benching ...

I have the utmost respect for PL'ers. Having said that, I do incorporate some PL techniques in my bench. I have had a nasty rotator injury in the past, so bench pressing enormous weight is not a priority to me at this point.

Currently, for flat bench, my index finger rests on the rings of the bar. I have fairly wide foot placement. I place my feet flat on the floor. I have seen some tuck there feet all the way back almost to the point where there toes are on the floor only. I dont do this for the simple reason that if for some reason my foot slipped, it would screw my whole lift up. So, firmly flat!!!

I dont flare my elbows out, I dont tuck my elbows all the way in. My elbow position is somewhere in the middle, where it is comfortable to me. I DO have a slight arch in my lower back. For me, I like the feel of squeezing my lats almost around the bench.

Probably the most crucial part of my lift is staying VERY tight. I squeeze the shit out of the bar when I bench. It makes me focus and makes me feel stronger, especially during the decent. At the bottom the bar is positioned at or slightly above my nipple area.

I will say that the majority of my growth has come from dumbell presses, both incline and flat. It is simply not possible to get the same ROM w/ Barbell as it is w/ dumbell. Also, I do heavy flyes. They have done a great deal for my overall pec developement. Keep in mind one thing. BB'ers and PL'ers are to a certain degree looking to achieve the same things initially. Mass and strength. The two are often topics of debate but really overlap a great deal.

Its when PL'ers and BB'ers are in the later stages of developement that goals change. At least this is my thought.

Lastly, train your shoulders and tris like a madman. Most guys that complain about a shitty bench fail to realize that there are many other bodyparts involved in a great bench than PECS. Peace.

Luciano_ said:
Sometimes I feel like my shoulders and triceps are working more than mi chest and I get piss.

Then get your shoulders and tris up to par. I'm having that problem now. I've managed to get my chest up to par, and my shoulders have come around nicely doing some 5x5 work. But my triceps have suddenly fallen behind. I got 285 off my chest the other day, but couldn't lock it out to save my life.

I remember that dips helped me a lot to achieve strength. There’s not dip machine in my gym but I have pushed two heavy cardio machines and use them as parallel bars, old chubby ladies looked at me weird though.

You probably dont want to mimick the powerlifting bench if you care more about strength than size. They are mostly focused on getting the most out of their shirt and activating as much power out of their body as possible. Most of competative power bench training focuses on strengthening your triceps because the shirt can do a lot of the chest and back work for you.. not that those dont have to be tremendously strong too.

I'd use a little wider than shoulder width grip, not arch my back very much, and really focus on feeling the chest in the workout more than putting a ton of weight on if I wanted to build size.

Brett44444444 said:
I'd use a little wider than shoulder width grip, not arch my back very much, and really focus on feeling the chest in the workout more than putting a ton of weight on if I wanted to build size.

Thanks Bret ... I am doing more like the same, grip, back .. trying to focus on my chest. But definitely I need stronger tris !
I care more about size than strength and I am doing lots of flyes now.

Cheers

I'm not a bench expert, but I would say keep the elbows in as much as possible. This should force you to use more tris and much less rotator...also, I drop to my sternum and push straight up rather than back to the eyes...less ROM and shorter reps usually means reps with heavier weight.

if you insist on 90 degrees wide on the elbows don't let them fall below your lats...tons of strain on the rotators.

I notice the heavier I go, the wider my my elbows flare and the more I need to stay focused and disiplined on keeping them in...I screwed up my left shoulder once and it(like injuring your back) will KEEP you from lifting effectively. Don't go there. PERIOD....(took me about a year to get back up to 90% ok...I still need to watch it...)

Sounds like your trainer might need to do some homework...as far as the video, it looks like the way your trainer showed you and it even looks like he's pressing from the neck up...this would cause the elbows to flare to 90 also...I don't like it...just my two cents....

Good Luck....

Top Bottom