Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I would really like to see a pro benching ...

lavi said:
for the powerlift it says "slightly wider than shoulder width grip." Please tell me that's wrong...
why?

there is no set minimum, but there is a set maximum. no further apart than index fingers on the power rings. anything goes under that.

Good thread....I would like to flat bench again...but I was doing BB style last time and got almost zero chest development...also I don't like the idea of pec tears and shoulder injuries....

A few questions for you bignate...I am assuming you are doing the PL style bench....do you use an arch? And do you feel this style of bench has developed your chest? Also what do you think about the risk of previous injuries mentioned doing the flat bench PL style...

i incorporate an arch. ive run the gamut with different styles of benching. ive done from "to the neck" to a typical BB style bench press (elbows wide, flat back) to various styles of PL bench. i prefer my current PL style bench, not only because i plan to powerlift, but also because when going heavy on other styles, i would get shoulder pain. (the bad kind)

having changed my form, ive eliminated shoulder pain. as for chest development, its hard for me to tell. when i was bodybuilding i never weighed more than 185 before dieting down to 152 for a comp. back up to around 175 post comp. started incorporating OLY lifts and PL'ing. im sitting around 198.

my belief is that, since a PL'ers job is to lift more weight and continue to do so, alot of science with leverages and mechanical advantage is put to use. injury prevention is the key to longevity. i dont hear much about that in BB circles. IMO, minimizing wasted movement while recruiting the strongest muscles for the job is what PL'ing training is all about. what that means for the bench press is you will safely and progressively get stronger, overloading the core muscles involved in benching (chest, back, tri, shoulder). for those looking for strict isolation, they will reach a point where something else breaks down because one muscle gets too strong or the strain becomes too great without support from other muscle groups (case in point: shoulders on a elbows wide bench press).

bignate73 said:
i incorporate an arch. ive run the gamut with different styles of benching. ive done from "to the neck" to a typical BB style bench press (elbows wide, flat back) to various styles of PL bench. i prefer my current PL style bench, not only because i plan to powerlift, but also because when going heavy on other styles, i would get shoulder pain. (the bad kind)

having changed my form, ive eliminated shoulder pain. as for chest development, its hard for me to tell. when i was bodybuilding i never weighed more than 185 before dieting down to 152 for a comp. back up to around 175 post comp. started incorporating OLY lifts and PL'ing. im sitting around 198.

my belief is that, since a PL'ers job is to lift more weight and continue to do so, alot of science with leverages and mechanical advantage is put to use. injury prevention is the key to longevity. i dont hear much about that in BB circles. IMO, minimizing wasted movement while recruiting the strongest muscles for the job is what PL'ing training is all about. what that means for the bench press is you will safely and progressively get stronger, overloading the core muscles involved in benching (chest, back, tri, shoulder). for those looking for strict isolation, they will reach a point where something else breaks down because one muscle gets too strong or the strain becomes too great without support from other muscle groups (case in point: shoulders on a elbows wide bench press).

Thank you for your informative post...

I've always regarded flat bench as the best tricep\front delt builder out there...plus I think the PL style is by far the safer of the two styles..and looks
more natural

Maybe I will try to get the form down tomorrow when I work chest....

rotator cleans, askem windmills, alot of scapular retraction.

hammer curls, bb curls. (i keep it simple here)

I really can't agree with bignate much more than I already do.

198 though??? Good Lord man!!! You looked amazing in the 150's...can't imagine you at 198. You must be a pretty thick man right now!!!!

B True

bignate73 said:

good stuff bignate!!!

ok ... good stuff here.
Now, could someone make a brief explanation about the movement, shoulders, elbows position, back, etc? in both, BB and PL's benching ?

It would be very helpful for guys like me !

Thanks ..

Top Bottom