Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I Think My Workouts Are Too Long, Help Please.

DravenCarey

Hello everyone, my name is Jon and I'm new to the site. I've got history with lifting, just never let it stick long term. That said, my current problem is that I've started a weight training routine that is just taking way too long. I took a fellow's advice and changed to a new routine where everything is 5 sets of 5 reps (big lifts like squat, deadlift, bench/military press and supplementary lifts like arm curls, leg extensions, shrugs, etc... [with very few exceptions, some have higher reps depending on the lift]) with the goal of getting maximum strength gains. I figured, well hell, why not. I've done conventional splits and 4 sets of 10 for long enough, let's try something new. My story is this: I'm a discus thrower and will be moving on to the local University where I will try out for the team and hopefully be a contender. I know my strength is my weakest point and I need to fix that immediately so I'll be spending from now until January fixing that problem.
I've come to these forums in the hopes of getting some advice as to the best, most efficient ways of making strength gains and maintaining athleticism (size is nice, but I care far more for strength). Here is my current routine, and again, pretty much everything is in 5 sets of 5 reps. It's currently taking me upwards of 2-2.5 hrs to complete my exercise (I think the 2.5 hour ones are just me taking too long on my rest cycles between sets). Now, I don't have any problem sticking it out and going for 2-2.5 hrs however all the reading I've done is saying that's useless and the work is hardly affecting me positively (if at all) and I'd just like to get the advice of those more experienced. Any and all knowledgeable help is appreciated, thanks a ton for taking the time to look this over. =================================================
These are in no particular order, but I do start with my biggest "core" lifts then work my way down based on whatever stations/machines/spots are available. Some of the "home-grown" exercises have a little description to better visualize what I'm doing. =================================================
Monday:

Core Lifts- Squat (5x5), Bench Press (5x5)

Chest Exercises- Dumbbell Chest Presses (5x5), Inclined Dumbbell Chest Presses (5x5), Machine Chest Flys (5x5), Outter Grip 45lb. Plate Chest Presses (4x15), Inner Grip 45lb. Plate Chest Presses (4x15)

Back Exercises- Barbell Rows (5x5), Cable Rows (5x5), Trunk Lifts (5x5)

Triceps Exercises- Triceps Pulldown (Cable Machine) (5x5), Dips (off of a bench/platform, not full body) (5x5), Triceps Press (5x5), 3-Way Skull Crushers (5x5) (think of it as skull crushers from different angles), Triceps Kickbacks (5x5)
=================================================
Tuesday:

Core Lifts- None

Leg Exercises- Deadlifts (5x5), Leg Press (5x5), Hamstring Curls (5x5), Calf Raises (5x5), Quad. Extensions (5x5)

Biceps Exercises- Preacher Curls with an Outter Grip (5x5), Preacher Curls with an Inner Grip (5x5), Preacher Curls, Reverse Grip (5x5), Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curls (5x5), Inclined Bench Biceps Curls, Outward (5x5), Inclined Bench Biceps Curls, Inward (5x5)

Deltoid Exercises- 90 Degree Shoulder Raises (from the hip until my forearms are parallel with the floor) (5x5), 90 Degree "Goal Post Rotations" (place my hands like I'm mimicking a football goalpost and, keeping my upper arm still, rotate my forearms and the weight until it is pointed towards the floor [or as close to that direction as I can]) (5x5), Machine Shoulder Press (5x5)

Trapezius Exercises- Barbell High Pulls (5x5), Shrugs (5x5), Shoulder Rolls (5x5)

Lats Exercies- Lat Pulldowns (5x5), "Thigh to Head Dumbbell Raises" (laying on a bench I hold dumbbells in each and with straight arms raise them from my thighs to straight "over" or behind my head and back) (5x5)

Compound Trapezius/Deltoid Exercises- "4-Way Raises/Pulls" (Combination of raises/pulls/presses, think of it as a burnout type workout) (5x5)
Wednesday:

Core Lifts- Squat (5x5), Military Press (5x5)
Forearm Exercises- Various (6 total) Barbell/Dumbbell Curls (different grips, some going up, others down) (5x5),

Abdominal Exercises- To Be Announced (sorry, missed that day and haven't figured out what I want to do for abs yet)
Thursday:

Core Lifts- Bench Press (5x5)

Leg Exercises- Deadlifts (5x5), Leg Press (5x5), Hamstring Curls (5x5), Calf Raises (5x5), Quad. Extensions (5x5)

Chest Exercises- Dumbbell Chest Presses (5x5), Inclined Dumbbell Chest Presses (5x5), Machine Chest Flys (5x5), Outter Grip 45lb. Plate Chest Presses (4x15), Inner Grip 45lb. Plate Chest Presses (4x15)

Back Exercises- Barbell Rows (5x5), Cable Rows (5x5), Trunk Lifts (5x5)

Triceps Exercises- Triceps Pulldown (Cable Machine) (5x5), Dips (off of a bench/platform, not full body) (5x5), Triceps Press (5x5), 3-Way Skull Crushers (5x5) (think of it as skull crushers from different angles), Triceps Kickbacks (5x5)
Friday:

Core Lifts- Military Press (5x5), Squat (5x5)

Biceps Exercises- Preacher Curls with an Outter Grip (5x5), Preacher Curls with an Inner Grip (5x5), Preacher Curls, Reverse Grip (5x5), Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curls (5x5), Inclined Bench Biceps Curls, Outward (5x5), Inclined Bench Biceps Curls, Inward (5x5)

Deltoid Exercises- 90 Degree Shoulder Raises (from the hip until my forearms are parallel with the floor) (5x5), 90 Degree "Goal Post Rotations" (place my hands like I'm mimicking a football goalpost and, keeping my upper arm still, rotate my forearms and the weight until it is pointed towards the floor [or as close to that direction as I can]) (5x5), Machine Shoulder Press (5x5)

Trapezius Exercises- Barbell High Pulls (5x5), Shrugs (5x5), Shoulder Rolls (5x5)

Lats Exercies- Lat Pulldowns (5x5), "Thigh to Head Dumbbell Raises" (laying on a bench I hold dumbbells in each and with straight arms raise them from my thighs to straight "over" or behind my head and back) (5x5)

Compound Trapezius/Deltoid Exercises- "4-Way Raises/Pulls" (Combination of raises/pulls/presses, think of it as a burnout type workout) (5x5)
And that's it for the week. Other stuff you may need/want to know is that I'm 21 years old, 6'4" tall, I weigh ~250lbs, and the only supplements I take are Whey Protein and Post-Workout Creatine. My current bench max is ~250lbs and my current squat max is ~300lbs. I've neglected my legs for FAR too long (3+ years) and I'm trying to make up for lost time, that's why there is some sort of leg exercise every day. Again, thank you for taking the time to read this friggin huge wall of text and hopefully offering me some suggestions as to what I can do to shorten this up (if that's even needed) or if you think this should work just fine.

Bro that is a shit load of volume! You gaining much strength from that? I'm not surprised its taking so long to complete!

My suggestion would be to cut like 80% of that and just do SL 5x5. It's simple and effective.

A
Squat 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Barbell row 5x5

B
Squat 5x5
Overhead press 5x5
Deadlift 5x5

Train Monday Wednesday Friday and increase weight by 5lbs per lift each time you workout, increase deadlift by 10lbs to keep up with the squat. Alternate workouts too so one week A,B,A the following week would be B,A,B

It may not look like much but it works and the weights get damn heavy after a while thanks to the constant increases.

Thanks for the reply Colstreamer, and yea it's a TON of volume. I cant speak for strength gains for this exact layout just yet (only 3 weeks in and had to take the second week off because i hurt my back) so i'm not seeming much yet. I can however, say that in the past i've used similar workouts with really high volume and it's worked out just fine. Like, +90lbs on my Bench max in 17 weeks fine. I've thought about doing something like what you've recommended but i feel like i'm shorting myself and taking the easy way out. I dont know if it's just me or what but i feel like if i'm not doing a ton of stuff, and working my ass off, that i wont get results (i've never done something as short and basic as that). You happen to have any kind of experience or source that can help put my mind at rest about strength gain differences between a program like mine and the one you recommended?

More is not always better, especially when it comes to training. That is a recipe for overtraining and not recovering. Remember that you grow when you are NOT in the gym, not while you are there!

Very well said Rick. Sometimes it's easy to overlook this important part of training.

As A beginner your doing way too much volume. I routinely train for 2-3 hours per session, but Im an elite level powerlifter. Most of my time is spent training the lifts with my training crew. When I train alone Im done in 1.5 hours or less. I think for a beginner 1 hour or less is ideal. Hit 2-3 compound moves and 2 assistance moves and call it a day.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EliteFitness

You happen to have any kind of experience or source that can help put my mind at rest about strength gain differences between a program like mine and the one you recommended?

I know several people who've used this exact program to increase strength and add slabs of muscle to their frames. If you checkout the journals section or search 5x5 on this site you'll see loads of people using it and having great results. I'm training for a kickboxing match at the moment so my training is oriented towards that rather than gaining size and strength but after my fight I'll be starting it from scratch, with very light weights to start off with.

Don't think you're shorting yourself with this program, the weights get damn heavy after a whole due to the constant increases. Best way to start IMO is take 99lbs off your 1 rep max for upper body lifts and use that as your starting weight. Take 200lbs off your 1 rep max for squat and deadlift for your starting weight. After 12 weeks you'll be using your 1 rep max weight for 5 sets of 5 reps. Take a week off, find new 1 rep max and take away 100 & 200lbs from upper body and lower body weights respectively then start again.

Well after posting on three different forums this is what I've come up with, tell me what you guys think.

Monday (Upper Body- Maximum Strength):
Upper Body
- Bench Press (5x5), Military Press w/ Smith Machine (5x5), Cable Rows (5x5), JM presses (5x5), Face Pulls (3x10)

Plyometrics- Lateral Box Jumps (3x6), Forward Double Leg Jumps (3x6), Single Leg Tuck Jumps (3x6), Plyometric Bar Tosses w/ Smith Machine (3x6)

Tuesday (Lower Body- Explosiveness):
Lower Body- Box Squat (4x6), Snatch, Deadlifts (4x6), Front Squat (w/ Jerk?) (4x6), Hang Cleans (give it a try) (4x6)

Core Work- Russian Twists (3x10), Windshield Wipers (3x10), Weighted Back Extensions (3x10), Weighted Side Bends (3x10), Sit-ups (3x10)

Wednesday (Throwing Specific Exercises):
Throwing Specific- TBA

Thursday (Upper Body- Explosiveness):
Upper Body- Close Grip Bench Press (4x6), Military Press w/ Smith Machine (4x6), Pendlay/Barbell Rows (4x6), Face Pulls (4x6), JM presses (4x6)

Plyometrics- Lateral Box Jumps (3x6), Forward Double Leg Jumps (3x6), Single Leg Tuck Jumps (3x6), Plyometric Bar Tosses w/ Smith Machine (3x6)

Friday (Lower Body- Maximum Strength):
Lower Body- Squat (5x5), Snatch (5x5), Deadlifts (5x5), Front Squat (w/ Jerk?) (5x5)

Core Work- Russian Twists (3x10), Windshield Wipers (3x10), Weighted Back Extensions (3x10), Weighted Side Bends (3x10), Sit-ups (3x10)

Well after posting on three different forums this is what I've come up with, tell me what you guys think.

Monday (Upper Body- Maximum Strength):
Upper Body
- Bench Press (5x5), Military Press w/ Smith Machine (5x5), Cable Rows (5x5), JM presses (5x5), Face Pulls (3x10)

Tuesday (Lower Body- Explosiveness):
Lower Body- Box Squat (4x6), Snatch, Deadlifts (4x6), Front Squat (w/ Jerk?) (4x6), Hang Cleans (give it a try) (4x6)

Wednesday (Throwing Specific Exercises):
Throwing Specific- TBA

Thursday (Upper Body- Explosiveness):
Upper Body- Close Grip Bench Press (4x6), Military Press w/ Smith Machine (4x6), Pendlay/Barbell Rows (4x6), Face Pulls (4x6), JM presses (4x6)

Friday (Lower Body- Maximum Strength):
Lower Body- Squat (5x5), Snatch (5x5), Deadlifts (5x5), Front Squat (w/ Jerk?) (5x5)

Looks much better. I would leave Wednesday as a rest day and just do a little Cardio if you want.

Top Bottom