Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I rep 175 (5x5) what should I try to max?

Thomasneumeyer

My friends want to try to max today, I just recently started doing (5x5) but I'm doing it with 175
I don't want to jump to a high weight and hurt myself so I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on what I should start with?
I don't know if body weight will help but I'm 135

I would shoot for 205, it is a much better number to go for than 200. It is a 45 and a 35 on each side, mentally I think you will be stronger if you go for 205 rather than 2. Physically, if you did 190 after a 5x5 with 175 I think you are more than prepared for 205.

Anything I can rep for a solid 5x5 I can usually max 50-60lbs more than that weight.

As Thatbloke said everyone's strength ratio is different. You might do 25lbs more than your 5x5 weight.

Until you have done a couple of maxes to compare to your 5x5 weight you won't know.

I would go with 205 like Miked8c said. If you manage to press it try to gauge if you have more strength in you. If it goes up with effort, but you feel like maybe you have 10lbs more in you then take it to 215 etc.

As your experience increases you will get better and better at gauging how hard a particular lift was.

Top Bottom