Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I need some advice for an unconventional powerlifting event

Lumberg

What's up guys, I know PL is all about maximizing your 1 rep max, but the event in which I am competing is more about endurance....

Over a week or more, competitors do as many reps as possible of:

dips
pull ups
Squat @ 1.25x their BW
Bench @ BW
Preacher curl @ .4x their BW

Right now I am doing lots of pull ups and dips as usual, practicing the preacher event at the required poundage, doing a squat burnout set at the end of my leg workout with the required weight, and doing 3 sets to failure on bench at my bodyweight. I also do burnout preacher and pull ups at the end of back/bi day. Preacher bench is by far my weakest event (I had never tried before but I think I got about 6 when I did) and dips and/or squat is going to be my strongest event (I'm thinking in the 20s for both). Bench low teens, pull ups high teens.

Points are awarded based on how you place in each event.

The dates aren't set yet but the event will take place in April.

So any suggestions? I hope by knowing how to maximize one type of strength you might know about the flip side.

One of the things I was thinking of doing is short (1 min) rest between sets. I usually do BB style workouts and take long rests (2-5 minutes) between sets of my major lifts. That usually leads to only small dropoffs between the first and second sets of a three-set workout, then a bigger one for the third.

Comments, suggestions welcome.

JC

I suck at doing reps. Always have. So take this advice with a grain of salt. But to get good at doing lots of reps, do lots of reps. Being strong helps, but what you are looking for is endurance more than strength, so train for it. The only thing I have ever been able to do many reps in are dips, pushups, pullups and situps. And when I trained those, I usually did high reps with bodyweight on those exercises.

B

I am in the same boat as B buti think your on the right track by only taking short 30-1min rest if not less . IF yoiu drop your traning weights to a little below what is needed for the event you will be able to do more reps and increase your lactic acid talerance.

How does short rest periods make you better at doing higher reps? It doesn't. Doing higher reps makes you better at higher reps.

You need to train just like it is contest day. I would take the exercises and split them up into two days...
1) dips, pull ups, bench
2) squats, preacher curl

This is just a thought though...but if you are going to compete in a contest where you know the events...you need to train the EXACT events. Your other gym lifts only account for a very small percent of your strength on these though.

If you had more time to train...I could go more into detail as how to cycle your volume/intensity/ and weights through these events...but when you are this close...you just need to have a few days that are EXACTLY like contest day...even do all of the events in the exact order that you will have to do on contest day.

B True

Well it's contest DAYS, and yeah, Ideally I would have like 2 months and do a "Contest Week" then go back and train

I am definitely doing at least one set if not more on my appropriate days of the exact weight in the contest and just going all out.

Right now though I am doing bench and dips on the same day, preacher and pull ups on the same day, and squat on one day. I am definitely improving on bench and squat. Dips I am not too worried about, and I am doinf preacher before pull ups on back/bi day because that's me weakest event.

JC

joncrane said:

Over a week or more, competitors do as many reps as possible of:

dips
pull ups
Squat @ 1.25x their BW
Bench @ BW
Preacher curl @ .4x their BW

never heard of a comp like this -- how is it structured? - is there one movement per day, or are they all done each day? is it max reps in a time period, or till failure?

The events are done on different days so you can recover. The placing in each event is by the number of reps you can do to failure. The overall winner is selected by placings in each event (not total reps performed) as far as I can tell.

JC

Sounds like a plan man...how many days between events? Get as much information as you can.

B True

Top Bottom