Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I Need Routine Help (long winded kinda)

Mindwraith

I'm somewhat of a bigginner, I've been pumping for about 7 months now. I've been researching quite a bit to get a decent routine and diet going but I still have so many questions left unanswered. My main goal is to gain some mass (especially in my legs and chest lately), which I've done quite well at so far but I'm at somewhat of a standstill at the moment. I'm not out to bench a certain poundage though I expect to be able to lift quite a bit if I had to. I'm mostly doing this for looks and appeal confidence and health.

Anyways on to the point. My routine is as follows. I have no partner so I'm stuck with dumbells on most muscle groups.

I try to vary my workout as that was advised to me by several websites and trainers.

I train 5 days a week Sunday through Thursday and take Friday and Saturday to lounge and rest.

I take one muscle group for upper body for that particular day and call it my primary group, like chest for instance. I'll start with a half mile run to warm up, then do some ab work like crunches and move on to the chest by doing 50 pushups at least to pre-exaust, this I hear also counts as full body movement which helps produce those muscle growth hormones.

Then I do flat bench press starting light with 60 lb dumbells and do 1 set of 8 with that, then continue up to 65 and then 70 one set of 8 each, once I'm at 70 I'll do a 4th set and try to hit 8 but usually only hit about 4 or 5 before collapsing. Then I do flys the same way starting at 45 lb dumbells and moving up to 55.

After all that I'll move to the rest of my upper body, biceps, tri's, and shoulders. The next upper body day I'll change it starting with one of the other 3 areas. For biceps I'll add some chin ups for a full body movement combination, this does lats too but biceps as well. Then I move on to bar bell curls and lastly dumbell preacher curls. On Tri's I'll do skull crushers, the machine push down thing, and then I'll put some dips at the end. (Dips I am assuming is the parallell bars I push up on, I feel most of that in my tri's)

On Leg days I'll usually start by running a mile then doing some ab work, then I move over to the squat rack and do the free bar bell squats, I try and do 20 reps as advised to me, I've got several opinions coming at me on that one. The most common one is that I go light since I have no spotter and try and do a good 3 sets of 20 if I can. Squats are hard and take a lot out of me but like pushups they're good for growth. Then I do 3 sets of 20 on the leg press, then I move over to sitting calf press and do 4 sets of 30 on those with as heavy weight as I can do. Then I do standing calf press the same way. Then last I do some leg curls for hams, my hams get little attention. Then the last thing I finally do before going home, after stretching I sprint at full speed a good 350 yards around the indoor track, I was told sprinting can help build some mass quite a bit.

My question is, would I be better off spreading all this out by doing one or two different muscle groups a day giving more attention to that muscle group but end up only doing each group once a week? Can I gain mass still by doing one muscle group a week like that?

Any advise is welcome.

Thanks.

I am certainly not a pro, but I am currently using the following routine...and I am a firm believer that if you want size, train heavy....if you are training at a gym, ask a trainer or the moron at the counter to spot you, or someone there...someone will generally help you although you do run into goofballs that you would be afraid to help you out with...I do 3 sets of 5-8 for each exercise and do not do any less then 3 exercises per body body part...This is the Labrada training program...

Day 1: Chest, Tri's, Shoulder
Day 2: Bi's, Back
Day 3; Off
Day 4: Legs
Day 5: Off
Day 6: Back to day one.....

Stay away from dumbells....I think they are for shapeing up, straight bar anything is for mass building...

E

I am certainly not a pro, but I am currently using the following routine...and I am a firm believer that if you want size, train heavy....if you are training at a gym, ask a trainer or the moron at the counter to spot you, or someone there...someone will generally help you although you do run into goofballs that you would be afraid to help you out with...I do 3 sets of 5-8 for each exercise and do not do any less then 3 exercises per body body part...This is the Labrada training program...

Day 1: Chest, Tri's, Shoulder
Day 2: Bi's, Back
Day 3; Off
Day 4: Legs
Day 5: Off
Day 6: Back to day one.....

Stay away from dumbells....I think they are for shapeing up, straight bar anything is for mass building...

E

in my opinion you can def gain mass by doing a muscle group once a week. Key is intensity, a good diet. and in my opinion there is nothing wrong with dumbbells, i mix them up in my programs cause i feel it differently.

did you have a certain type of split in mind? exercises in mind? just curious.

also what's your diet look like?, times you eat per day approx. number of calories...etc (biggest factors of gains, is proper nutrition, whether it be cutting, maintaining or gaining.)

just my 2 cents

Thanks guys, that helps, I may try working this routine..

Sunday - Biceps / Triceps
Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Quads / Calves
Wednesday - Shoulders
Thursday - Hamstrings / Calves

I put calves twice because they lack somewhat.

My diet is pretty good, a lot of chicken, beef, and tuna and cheese. Protein bars (lean body brand). Alot of complex carbs from whole wheat bread and pasta and I try to eat veggies and avoid the ice cream and cookies if I can. I drink water 95% of the time and try to avoid the pepsi. I also drink a whey protein shake about 3 times a day along with some 2222 gram amino tabs (2 in the morning and 2 after work out). The only other thing I take are multi vitamins. I stop eating about 4 hrs before bed.

Right now my main goal is to build my tri's chest and quad/hams/calves. So I may try and concentrate it there.

Does it hurt to neglect one or two muscle groups for a week to concentrate on another or is that over training? Like say on the above routine I put another chest where the shoulders are.

Far as dumbells go I really have no option since I have no spotter. Besides I've been told many times its better to use them. I dont intend to look like Arnold, maybe just the Vin Deisel look. I go to Bally's which is a large 4 story club in Rice village.. Houston, I'm not so sure people would be too willing to spot me for as many sets as I'd like to do. I see different people there every day they seem pretty busy and tend to have their own trainer or partner.

What do yall suggest I do with my chest if I do that just once a week. Intensity is relative to the one experiencing it so I'm not so sure what that means. I assume I'd be working my chest from several angles. (i.e. press and flys on both Flat Bench and Incline, then pushups and dips? 4 sets on each?) I get this feeling that once I make it near the end of that I'll be down to some pretty light weights given that my arms will feel like wet noodles and hella sore.

Thanks again.

first of all, dont be afraid to ask someone for a spot, even if they are busy most will be glad to help you out. dont be afraid to ask, maybe some of the peopl you see regularly. and you probably dont need spotters for EVERY set but rather maybe the last set or the last exercises. in your routine.

also y do you put bi's and tri's before chest? seems to be counterintutive becase you wouldn't be able to go all out on chest if your tri's are holding you back because they are sore.

Also y is there no Back in this routine? I realize many beginners nelect back becase well you can't see it. not a muscle you and work and see immediate gratification. but i think you'll find that everyone on this board does back and everyone on this board thinks back should not be neglected in your training. So you probably need to rethink your splir again because by throwing back in there it makes it a 6 day cycle.

and your question about neglecting one bodypart...do you mean instead of doing shoulders that day you'd do chest again?

You nutrion seems to be OK, but y do you stop eating 4 hours before bed? do you at least take a shake then? or is that everything?

for your chest i'd say pick 4 maybe 5 exercises (if you lower your sets), hitting from different angles. I'd put the weights first and the bodyweights at the end.for example.

incline bench(4), flat bench(4), incline flyes(4) and then finish up with some dips to failure. 3 sets

I'm gonna follow that routine this week. Thanks.

As for back routine I assumed I was doing that.

During my shoulder routine I do shrugs, reverse fly's, bent arm lateral raises and one arm row on flat bench with dumbell or I change it up and do the two arm row with that thing where you stand on the platform and pull the plates up (dunno what its called). Also I do a lot of chinups which as far as I know works the back as well as the biceps and forearms and stuff, and its better than the machine lat pulldown because it involves full body movement. Is there another back exersize that I dunno about?

Mindwraith said:
During my shoulder routine I do shrugs, reverse fly's, bent arm lateral raises and one arm row on flat bench with dumbell or I change it up and do the two arm row with that thing where you stand on the platform and pull the plates up (dunno what its called).
While these do work the rear deltoids to some extent, they are mainly used as a back exericise. For shoulders, start your routine with some military press.

Is there another back exersize that I dunno about?
Deadlifts.

Is there another back exersize that I dunno about?
Like Zack said, Deadlifts are a beautiful thing, an excercise you will love to hate...
Also... Bent over rows... Louden_Swain turned me on to them... Absolutely love em now... Give them a whirl...

Ok I've worked out two new routines based on the answers I've gotten from several areas. Routine 1 involves a 1 muscle group per week workout, Routine 2 involves my current workout but modified.

Here's the first one:

Sunday - Biceps / Back (may alternate or reverse order starting with chinups)
warmup (not sure what)
ab roller
Barbell curls 8 sets drop or pyramid
Preacher curls 4 sets of 8
Incline curls 4 sets of 8
Stiff Legged Dead Lifts 4 sets 8
Bent over Row 4 sets of 8
Chinups 4 sets of 10
stretch

Monday - Chest / Tri's
warmup (unsure of what)
reverse crunches
Dumbell press incline 5 sets of 8
Dumbell press flat 5 sets 8
Dumbell fly's incline 5 sets of 8
Pushups
EZbar skullcrushers tri's 3 sets of 8
overhead dumbell (sitting) tri's 2 sets of 12
pully (pushdown) tri's 6 sets pyramid/drop
dips 4 sets of 10
stretch

Tuesday - Quads / Calves
light warmup
squats 5 sets of 9 70% of 1rm
leg press 4 sets of 20
sitting calf press 1 warmup set of 30 (lighter) then 3 sets of 8 (heavy)
standing calf press 1 set of 20 then 3 sets of 15 (heavy)
Sprint 350 yards
stretch

Wednesday - Shoulders
warmup
ab roller
reverse flys 4 sets of 8
bent arm lateral raise 4 sets of 8
shoulder shrugs 1 set of 20 (light) 3 sets of 8 (heavy)
Chinups 4 sets of 10
stretch

Thursday - Hamstrings / Calves
warmup
reverse crunches
stiff legged dead lifts 4 sets of 8
Leg Curls 1 set of 20 (light) then 3 sets of 10 (heavy)
sitting calf press 4 sets of 30-40
standing calf press 4 sets of 30-40
sprint 350 yards
stretch

Friday - Off
Saturday - Off

---------------------------------------------------------
Here's the Second one:

Sunday - Upper Body
warmup (unsure of what)
reverse crunches
Chest
Dumbell press incline 4 sets of 8
Dumbell fly's incline 3 sets of 8
Pushups - 55
Tri's
pully (pushdown) tri's 4 sets of 8 pyramid/drop
dips 3 sets of 8
Bi's/Back
Chinups 3 sets of 8
Barbell curls 6 sets drop or pyramid
Preacher curls 3 sets of 8
Incline curls 3 sets of 8
Bent over Row 3 sets of 8
reverse flys 3 sets of 8
bent arm lateral raise 3 sets of 8
stretch

Monday - Legs
warmup
Ab roller
squats 4 sets of 9 70% of 1rm
leg press 3 sets of 20
Stiff Legged Dead Lifts 3 sets 8
stretch
Sprint 350 yards

Tuesday - Upper
warmup (unsure of what)
reverse crunches
Chest
Pushups - 55
Tri's
dips 3 sets of 8
Bi's/Back
Chinups 3 sets of 8
reverse flys 3 sets of 8
stretch

Wednesday - Legs
warmup
Ab roller
squats 4 sets of 9 70% of 1rm
leg press 3 sets of 20
Stiff Legged Dead Lifts 3 sets 8
stretch
Sprint 350 yards

Thursday - Upper
warmup (unsure of what)
reverse crunches
Chest
Pushups - 55
Tri's
dips 3 sets of 8
Bi's/Back
Chinups 3 sets of 8
reverse flys 3 sets of 8
stretch

Friday - Off

Saturday - Off

One involves some extra intensity the other has less but more often and I may alternate it so that legs are on sunday and upper body on monday etc.. Neither involve any real cardio however, I'm not sure where I can possibly fit in cardio. I put calves twice because they can use a lot of attention.

Top Bottom