Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I Need Quick 5 x 5 Advice

wpolo05

I've made good progress this week..

Finished a 5 x 5 @ 215 for Bench on monday after 5x5 last monday @ 195

Finished a 5 x 5 @ 135 for Squat on tues after a 5x5 last tuesday @ 115

Question: I am really tempted to try for 5x5 225 on Bench next monday, mainly because my PR is 5 reps of 225 and since I completed all reps at 215 I want to break that PR. On the other hand, I did move up from 195-215 and I am worried that might have been too big of a jump and moving up another 10 would be a mistake. However, since I am more interested in strength at this point than muscle mass perhaps 225 would be preferable to 220.

Any thoughts... the 5x5 @ 215 was a little bit of work and did leave me pretty spent but I didn't have trouble with any of the reps.

Thanks

go with 220. you dont want to risk plateauing at all. plus, in the bodybuilding world you are going to have to learn to be patient in your gains. might as well start here.

njlw226 said:
go with 220. you dont want to risk plateauing at all. plus, in the bodybuilding world you are going to have to learn to be patient in your gains. might as well start here.

Good advice...You're not supposed to be jumping up 20#'s. It should be a incremental load increase of 5#'s each week assuming you were able to hit all reps & sets.

But good progress. :bigthumb:

Thanks for the help fellas!

Intuitively I thought moving up 5 lbs would be best. The lore of getting to a PR can wait for another week. As far as switching to 5x5 incline.. I like the idea. I think I will implement it after a month of flat, especially since I would like to hit incline with dumbells for a little while longer.

Top Bottom