Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I need OHP advice. Better strict or push press?

Richie_Awesome

Just curious, and why? I want to get stronger at pushing things above head. I did 185x5 very strict, but I know I could do so much more with a push press.

Would push press improve strict?

Most people do strict over head presses but eventually you'll reach a plateau. That's usually when they start push pressing. If you feel like you're still progressing, keep at the strict form ohp. Then start push pressing. just my opinion though I'm sure others will disagree. very impressive ohp btw :)

A lot of people that do push presses find that when they switch to strict pressing, it improves their strict presses.

And vice versa.

Most of your progress isn't based on what you ARE doing but what you DID in the past to get you to where you are now.

i was thinking about this yesterday before answering, but then i would have said strict press because you work that lower range of motion a lot more...
but having said that i also agree with ceo and b fold... and they know their shit...
i think the key is to just find somthing you enjoy and progress with it as far as you can, and then find somthing similar (switching from strict to push press or vice versa) and then work on that...
so now both would be my answer... just rotate when you stall on one...

push presses always made my strict OHP jump up

I just did 225x4 behind the neck strict standing ohp, and if i were to push press id probably do around 275-295. It def has a correlation

Top Bottom