Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I need guidance

Arpie

I am getting very frustrated with my lower body work. My back surgery left me with advice of no squats or deadlifts. My knee issues left me with advice of limited ROM, staying above 90 degrees. Between these two issues I have worked with and followed the advice of my PTs. Both have been great. But both also seem keen to me simply staying where I am and not losing muscle while maintaining mobility. I want to gain. I want to increase strength. I want my vertical back. I am having a hard time on the volleyball court keeping up on the net. I need more power. But how? All my unilateral single leg work is keeping me healthy. But I am finding it very hard to really add any weight or power doing these lifts. Especially considering doing too many sets or pushing the envelope on ROM seems to set me back.

Really looking for ideas, articles, advice or anything you can offer that may help me do more than just exist.

Thanks

Could consider high box box squats with bands... You will need a lot of intelligence to program it correctly around your injuries and limitations.

+1....I have 2 degenerated discs and I have had to adjust my training (especially quads) around it.

Train smart, stay safe brotha

High box squats with bands? Interesting. Currently I do single leg box squats t just above 90 with a plate. Never done them with bands. Will look into that. Thanks.

Related: Can you get stronger without increasing weight? Meaning with lighter, non aggravating single leg work can I still gain strength simply by pumping out lots of reps? I only ask this due to a conversation today with a kinesiology student who says adding weight is for adding bulk. Doing more reps will build strength. Personally I don't think I agree with this. I have always preached adding bulk is about diet along with lifting and an excess of calories.

If you can find a way to progress...YOU WILL PROGRESS!!!!

If I were you I would try to do as many lower body exercises that your PT are okay with. The best way to strengthen a particular muscle or area of muscles is to strengthen the ones around it - build up the supporting muscle strength and you will build up the strength of the trouble area.

Also, do high-intensity lower body exercises (also make sure it is okay with your PT). Maybe ab work is also a good idea - it should help strengthen the back a little.

Given your past history with injury - definitely play things safe and try not to put yourself in a position to re-injure the injuries to your back/knees. Remember, it always helps injury-prone/delicate areas in your body if you strengthen everything around it.

As far as just "pumping out reps" for strength, this isn't the case as all muscle groups have different fiber types. For instance, if training hamstrings, to build power/strength, you'd probably want to stay in the 8-10 range or lower, focusing on the eccentric(negative) part of the movement. For size/hypertrophy of the hamstrings, it is recommended you play with the reps going a little higher 10-20 reps. Depends on what you are training and what your goals are. Good luck with everything...I wish I could really help with the squatting/deadlift issue.

i think you should still apply all the general lifts to your muscles groups above 90 degrees... you can still optimize performance within that range of motion. you can still be more explosive- 90 degrees is good enough for eccentric/concentric contractions

Top Bottom