Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

i'm not trying to get a powerlifter's body, would 5x5 still be beneficial for me?

bentleychris23

hi, i'm looking to mass up and eventually develop a cut, attractive physique. I've seen a lot of programs that are traditional splits, incorporating compound and isolation lifts. Then i've seen other programs like 5x5 that are based more on the big compound lifts. At 5'11 156, which route is the better route to go? i know it's all about diet but there has to be some difference in results by either incorporating isolation lifts in a split or doing compound lifts 3x a week. i wouldn't say i'm weak and have been working out for some time. i can bench 215 and squat 315 for around 5 reps. thanks

I run a 5x5 program and am seeing good results from it. IMO any routine that doesn't include compund lifts like squats and deads just does'nt cut it. I worked on isolation programs for years and am seeing better strength gains as well as muscle gains on the 5x5. That has just been my personal experience some may have done very well with iso splits but I am really enjoying the 5x5 workout.

Any program for a beginner that is getting them stronger throughout their body should work pretty well for size gains if their diet is good..

yeah that makes sense. i'm not trying to come across as ignorant but i'm working out for appearance as well as strength. a lot of appearance is the showy muscles, bi's tri's calves, you know, the typical ones everyone wants to build. will they still get developed with a program like 5x5

yeah that makes sense. i'm not trying to come across as ignorant but i'm working out for appearance as well as strength. a lot of appearance is the showy muscles, bi's tri's calves, you know, the typical ones everyone wants to build. will they still get developed with a program like 5x5

Yes. You are still working those muscles your just doing it through compund lifts pushing and pulling. Also I take a day and do just bi's/tri's and mix that in between my 5x5. Strength gains=muscle gains=improved appearance. If you are not getting stronger your muscles are not growing.

Go with the big compound lifts, you need the strength gains and testosterone surge to increase the size of your muscles. There's a great article out there calles Squatting for Big Arms, you should read it.

Any training program not based around the squat, bench press, deadlift, and overhead press is a bad program. Everything else is just semantics.

ok thanks, is adding in some isolation exercises to the 5x5 program necessary? such as maybe a few sets of calf raises or curls/dips?

true, also for someone intermediate like myself would i need to run the deloading weeks? or i could just keep doing the volume training with fridays going up by 2.5% i'm skinny at around 155 but am not weak, i can max bench around 225 which i wouldn't say is bad for me.

Top Bottom