Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I have stalled and I need some advice...

Shades McCool

My bench numbers are stalling right now. I am stuck at 290x4. I am about to revamp my lifting routine and I am wondering how I should go about moving my bench. Should I re-set my bench numbers or switch to the advanced scheme for my bench only? My deadlift and squat still seem to progressing but my bench has stalled.

What could work well is to look at a couple of options.

One would be on Monday to alternate every week, One week work up over 5 sets to a heavy 5, the next week do 3x3 with the same weight, and the next do 3 singles with the same weight, then repeat......all the while keep Wed as the overhead day and Friday bench 4x8 pyramiding the weight each set. Also, you could just run 5x5 with a set weight straight through on the heavy day, then 1x5 on the Medium day.

Another route would be to push inclines or close-grips or declines as the main press the next training cycle.

Well......where are you failing??

Chest

Mid-point

Lockout??

Well the 4th rep at 290 is as slow as it gets so I haven't actually failed on a 5th rep because I haven't attempted one yet. If I had to speculate I would say midpoint.

No offense, but check out the following comment from Jim Wendler on "weak points" in bench.

Question:

WSB says that one has to discover his weak points & improve them to make them stronger.
It sounds great, except that it requires a certain level of expertise to properly assess weak points.
I'm still struggling to do just that for my bench, so how would I know if my shoulders are weak? For instance I did 315 for 3 flat(ring finger on rings), 245 for 3 incline (45 degree, same grip), and only 175 for 5 seated military press off about nose level(same grip). What does this indicate?

Jim's response:

I'm going to make this very easy on you;

everything is weak on you; make everything stronger.

When you raw bench 600lbs for 34 reps, then you can worry about weak points.

I have rarely worried about weak points and think that people need to concentrate on making oneself balls-stronger.

So this is what is weak in your bench:

triceps
shoulders
chest
lats
upper back
forearms

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=45343&tid=55

i started using a wide grip on my lower numbers. working it towards my max and slowly moving my hands inward. make sure you have a solid set up and use it on every set including warm ups.

Shades....

You just need a slight adjustment.....you've progressed far and still have plenty of room.......I suggest a different rep scheme........lots of people in your shoes have good luck rotating between 5's, 3's, and 1's on the heavy bench day and either doing 5x5 with a set weight or 4x8 ramping the weight on the medium day

ya know, i never go to failure, either. dunno if that might help you, but being able to bench 315 x 10 doesn't mean you can bench 400 x 1.

Jim Wendler said:
I have rarely worried about weak points and think that people need to concentrate on making oneself balls-stronger
Holy crap, that's a great "word". :lmao:

Shades, IMO you should follow T's (and elsewhere Glenn/madcow's) advice and make a small change to your pressing layout. Defintely don't abandon the program while your squat and dead are still progressing just because you've stalled on a lift that was disproportionately high/trained when you began.

That would be my suggestion also. I would first try changing your rep scheme. Maybe do some singles. If that doesn't help try using some bands or chains. Maybe time for a deload.

Perp

Top Bottom