Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I have never done a squat and think i should

M

*MissFit*

HMm I have enver done a squat or a dead lift

I have only been working out since november 2004 and have recently been concetrating on my legs and i think im ready to attempt this.. but i would love some pointers.

Right now here is what i do for legs

leg press 3 sets 200lbs x 15
seat calve thing 175lbs 3sets x 15
Thigh thing inner and outter (sp?) 100lbs 3 set x 25

Seated ham 50lbs 3 sets x 15
not sure what its called but when your lying down face to the bench ass in the air 60lbs 3sets x15

Anyway any pointers would be appreciated :)

CanadianCutie said:
not sure what its called but when your lying down face to the bench ass in the air 60lbs 3sets x15

If I understand your description correctly you're doing leg curls.

Squats:

-Start light
-Don't let your knees go in front of your toes
-Go down until at least your legs form a 90 degree angle or lower.

I'm not an expert by any means, but have been squating for years. You have a great base to start with. I would say that you should take a workout and start 'practicing'. Start with no bar, heels about shoulder width and toes pointed out slightly. Do a set or two of 10 holding onto something to get the quads, glutes, and knees warmed up. For this workout, just use a very light weight and do higher reps, maybe just the bar. You should be able so squat a little more than half of your leg press weights (just a guide). Get the feel, understand your balance. You will use muscles you havn't used much on the other exercises, so you will be sore in new places. Do three good sets to start. Once you feel comfortable with balance you can start adding weight as you wish.

Other tips:
Go AT LEAST parallel
Arch your back
Don't put your heels on a block
Keep looking straight ahead or up

Sorry this is so long. You are going to love squatting.

Start light
-Don't let your knees go in front of your toes
-Go down until at least your legs form a 90 degree angle or lower.

keep toes pointed strait, shoulder width apart...always keep your head up and don't look down (some people may lose balance by looking down) - kind of dumb pointers but if you've never done one before, they're good to know.

Thank you :)

I know it's better to ask people at the gym but .. the guys in th emroning are msotly dirty old men.. u see why i don't wanna ask them

CanadianCutie said:
Thank you :)

I know it's better to ask people at the gym but .. the guys in th emroning are msotly dirty old men.. u see why i don't wanna ask them

Hey, I work out in the morning.

I think it's also important to realize that people will tell you a million little things to keep in mind while squatting, to the point that your head may be spinning. It's like a golf swing - you will literally hear 100 little things to think about throughout the whole process and will eventually have more problems than when you just got up there and took a whack at the ball!

I am definitely not saying don't listen to the good peeps here, but keep in mind that eventually you will have to mine through all that info and really listen to the important parts. That being said, I am sure that 99% of the advice given here is legit and you are smart enough to know what to listen to. Good luck - squats are fun as hell (almost as fun as deadlifts).

When I started training, I hated doing legs. Mine were skinny and weak. My trainer got me into them. Now I can't do without them - if I have to miss a workout, I'll skip arms, but not legs. I recently started doing dl's, as well. After only a month of dl's, my bench press has gone up 15-20 pounds.
Please do check out the sticky in the powerlifting forum and read the link Killahbee supplied. Both have excellent explanations of squats.
Trust us, you'll learn to love them.

Top Bottom