Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I have just completed day 1 of Rick Gray's muscle overload training

*The_West*

it went pretty well. it was a completely different kind of workout that i am used to, today would normally be my deadlift/back+bi's day.
the first day of any new routine can always be a bit iffy, as you are deciding what weight to use to get the most out of a new rep range, but i guessed it pretty well, apart from i need to go a little heavier on bicep curls and bent over rows, i completed the 6 sets of 6 reps a little too easily, but i definitely need to drop a bit of weight on the lateral raises-by set 4 i was really struggling and my form wasnt perfect on the last 2 sets. oh yeah, and the forearm curls (which i have never done before-OUCH) i really over-estimated the weight and had to drop after the 2nd set.
i am working out from home for this 10 weeks, so i had to substitute a few exercises, which rick says is okay to do. so to day's workout was upper body and went like this:
-bent over rows (subsituted these in the place of lat pull downs)6x6
-flat dumbell bench 6x6
-side lateral raises 6x6
-standing barbell curls 6x6
-standing tricep extensions with the hammer curl bar (substituted these in place of tricep pushdowns) 6x6
-forearm curls(thumbs 'under' bar, forearms resting across a flat bench)
6x20 i have never done these before and the burn in my forearms was literally painful!
week1 allows 45 seconds rest between sets. i have to say, i got a really good pump going. i replicate this workout on thursday. tomorrow is lower body, and i will update after finishing my workout.

i have just thought, i should probably give a brief explanation of the routine for those who are unfamiliar with it.
basically, there are 3 ways of training to induce hypertrophy
#1- increasing weight
#2- increasing reps of a weight
#3- doing more work within a specific period of time
most bodybuilders only focus on #1, and to a lesser extent #2, and more often than not completely ignore #3. this routine focusses on #3-the principle of overload-performing more reps in a given period of time by reducing rest periods week by week. week one allows 45 seconds of rest, week two 35, week three 30 and week four 25. for the first 4 weeks you do 6 sets of six reps, apart from forearms and calves, where you do 6 sets of 20 reps. due to its high intensity, the initial 4 weeks is followed by a seven day complete rest (no cardio or resistance training at all) to allow you muscles to recover in time for weeks 5-9, which is the same apart from 8 sets of 8 reps are used, 8 sets of 20 for forearms and calves.
it is a highly intense form of training, and focusses on more isolation type exercises. for those of you who have never done this kind of training before you cannot imagine how taxing it is and how of a pump you get from it.
this method of training can be done on compound lifts, but it generally doesnt suit them, as say for instance to could actually complete the 6 sets of 6 squats with only 30 odd seconds rest, you would most likely be breathing so heavily you appear to be dying or vomiting all over the gym.
after week 9, it is recommended you take another full week off training, after which i will go back to a split focussing on heavy compund lifts.

DAY 2 of Rick Grays muscle overload training

good afternoon. i have just finished the second day of the mucle overload training routine. today was lower body, and the routine went like this
-hack squats 6x6 these felt ok, seeing as though i have never done them before, i did a bit of practice just with the bar before starting just to get the form right. i kept bumping the bar off my arse at the top and on my achilles on the way down, which didnt happen in the last two sets so i must have got it. i definitely could have handled another 10 kgs or so, i will bump it up for friday.
-hamstring curls 6x6 these were good, painful, but good
-calve raises 6x6 as i am working out from home i had to 'bodge' these lol, i just did them on the bottom step with 20 k hanging from my waist. i hate working calves, mainly due to the fact that you literally have to blast them into painful submission to get them to grow, but got through the 6 sets nonetheless.

all in all today was quite easy. i think i will have to bump up the weights a little, and i strongly suspect it will start getting a lot harder next week when the rest periods start going down to 35 seconds and under.

Cool let us know how that works for you.
I believe #3 to be important and keeping the intensity high I feel gives a better work out.

drsketch said:
Cool let us know how that works for you.
I believe #3 to be important and keeping the intensity high I feel gives a better work out.
i have always tried to rest no more than a minute on isolation work, and no more than 2 or so mins on the big heavy compound lifts, but il admit, i have never considered actually training to get my rest periods down.
its ten weeks in total, im looking forward to seeing what happens, as i did hit a little bit of a stall on my previous routine.

good idea on switching it up to something new. keep the body confused!

mwm5 said:
good idea on switching it up to something new. keep the body confused!
thats the idea lol. i have been following the same routine since the start of the year and had been putting on weight at a dramatic rate, but it has slowed down almost to a complete halt in the last 6 weeks or so, so i thought it was time for something new!

first upper body workout of week 2

this week i am allowed 35 seconds rest between sets, and it made for a very intense workout. i am used to resting for about a minute, whatever exercise i am doing, and i have to say this made for an incredible pump.
i am not on any aas at the moment, just whey, creatine and glutamine post workout, and flexing my arms in between workout, it felt like my bis/tris were trying to burst out through my skin. this may have something to do with the fact that i have never worked out bis/tris on the same day day, let alone just after eachother.
also with only 35 seconds rest, the forearm curls are getting insanely painful!!!
i havnt noticed much in the way of difference yet, its only just into week two, and tbh i look at myself in the mirror everyday anyway (mr vain lol) but a few people have commented that my chest and arms look slightly fuller.
bring on the leg workout rawwwrrr!

Re: first lower body workout of week 2

good workout. i have bumped up the hack squats by 5k (11bs) and i believe that i have the perfect weight with these now. previously i was completing the sets a tiny bit too easily, now the last reps of the last two sets i am literally straining with every last bit of strength i have to straighten out. form is perfect aswell.
leg curls are starting to get real hard with only 35 seconds rest.
and my calves flippin hurt!

i suddenly thought i need another way to guage my progress (stupid lol) other than the scale, so seeing as i am only just into the 2nd of 10 weeks, tonight i will take all the standard measurements-chest, arms, quads, calves so i can compare.

Top Bottom