Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hypothetical: How much can a gorilla lift on the big 3?

Klown

Me and a few buddies were having a discussion on this. We are all fascinated by feats of strength and the mystical 1000lb bench/squat/deadlift.

How much do you think a full grown male silverback gorilla could lift on these three? Just from some research I've learned that gorillas have the strength of anywhere from 13-27 average men.

So I figure the average man can bench perhaps......120lbs. This puts the gorilla's theoretical bench press at 2000-4000 lbs. Most of my friends disagreed, they could barely even accept that a gorilla could bench 1500lbs. The extreme genetically gifted of the species could probably hit 5000lbs in my eyes.

As far as squats, with their short legs they might be able to get at least 5000lbs, maybe more. They could also quarter squat 10000 lbs just to show off ;)

and deadlifting....well, I've heard that they can uproot trees when properly provoked, so I'm going to guess quite a substantial number, again in the 5000lb range.

I know this is a bit of a silly discussion, but I'm just curious what you all think.

Klown said:
Me and a few buddies were having a discussion on this. We are all fascinated by feats of strength and the mystical 1000lb bench/squat/deadlift.

How much do you think a full grown male silverback gorilla could lift on these three? Just from some research I've learned that gorillas have the strength of anywhere from 13-27 average men.

So I figure the average man can bench perhaps......120lbs. This puts the gorilla's theoretical bench press at 2000-4000 lbs. Most of my friends disagreed, they could barely even accept that a gorilla could bench 1500lbs. The extreme genetically gifted of the species could probably hit 5000lbs in my eyes.

As far as squats, with their short legs they might be able to get at least 5000lbs, maybe more. They could also quarter squat 10000 lbs just to show off ;)

and deadlifting....well, I've heard that they can uproot trees when properly provoked, so I'm going to guess quite a substantial number, again in the 5000lb range.

I know this is a bit of a silly discussion, but I'm just curious what you all think.

I don't know how much they could lift, but I'd really like to see someone get a gorilla to lay down on a bench to do a proper bench press. I think if you put a gorilla in a weight room with the intention of making him do hard work, you'd end up with a really piissed off primate who'd throw 45lb plates at you. Besides, the real question is, "how much could a gorilla bench with a shirt?". :p

u could like knock him out and put a big ass bar above him and he would push it off of him when he wakes up

What a great frigging question. Reminds me of a show awhile back on FOX: "Animals vs. Humans" or something, with, like, pigs racing midgets or something. The humans won everything, because the animals just didn't have the "discipline" to run, say, a straight 100 meters.

Sort of puts the principle of "useful" or usable strength into perspective.

I've heard that gorillas are about 10X stronger than average humans, and even chimpanzees are 3X stronger. I'm not really sure about that, especially since what motions, specifically, they're stronger at might have very little to do with SQ, DL, and especially BP.

I think theoretically an alpha male gorilla could maybe bench 1500 lbs -- they do have big chests & arms. Their arms are very long, & they look perfect for Deadlifting, so I bet they could DL at least 1 ton, probably considerably more. I suppose they could squat around 1500 or so.

Chimps could probably BP about 300, DL 600, & SQ 4-500.

With equipment? Gorillas, BP 2000, DL 2000, SQ 2000. Chimps, 400, 600, 600.

Direct quote from The Straight Dope.com

"It's a lot easier to get a chimp in roller skates than it is to get him to pump iron--hence, most of the data on chimp strength is anecdotal and decidedly unscientific. In tests at the Bronx Zoo in 1924, a dynamometer--a scale that measures the mechanical force of a pull on a spring--was erected in the monkey house. A 165-pound male chimpanzee named "Boma" registered a pull of 847 pounds, using only his right hand (although he did have his feet braced against the wall, being somewhat hip, in his simian way, to the principles of leverage). A 165-pound man, by comparison, could manage a one-handed pull of about 210 pounds. Even more frightening, a female chimp, weighing a mere 135 pounds and going by the name of Suzette, checked in with a one-handed pull of 1,260 pounds. (She was in a fit of passion at the time; one shudders to think what her boyfriend must have looked like next morning.) In dead lifts, chimps have been known to manage weights of 600 pounds without even breaking into a sweat. A male gorilla could probably heft an 1,800-pound weight and not think twice about it."

epstropes said:
Direct quote from The Straight Dope.com

"It's a lot easier to get a chimp in roller skates than it is to get him to pump iron--hence, most of the data on chimp strength is anecdotal and decidedly unscientific. In tests at the Bronx Zoo in 1924, a dynamometer--a scale that measures the mechanical force of a pull on a spring--was erected in the monkey house. A 165-pound male chimpanzee named "Boma" registered a pull of 847 pounds, using only his right hand (although he did have his feet braced against the wall, being somewhat hip, in his simian way, to the principles of leverage). A 165-pound man, by comparison, could manage a one-handed pull of about 210 pounds. Even more frightening, a female chimp, weighing a mere 135 pounds and going by the name of Suzette, checked in with a one-handed pull of 1,260 pounds. (She was in a fit of passion at the time; one shudders to think what her boyfriend must have looked like next morning.) In dead lifts, chimps have been known to manage weights of 600 pounds without even breaking into a sweat. A male gorilla could probably heft an 1,800-pound weight and not think twice about it."

that is fucking mind boggling when you think about it, holy shit.

Ive been curious about this too for some reason.

BTW I read somewhere that Mike Tyson offered a zoo keeper $1000 to let him into a gorilla cage so he could KO a silverback. He said he could see in their eyes that there weak little infants or something.

beerdrinker said:
I don't know how much they could lift, but I'd really like to see someone get a gorilla to lay down on a bench to do a proper bench press. I think if you put a gorilla in a weight room with the intention of making him do hard work, you'd end up with a really piissed off primate who'd throw 45lb plates at you. Besides, the real question is, "how much could a gorilla bench with a shirt?". :p

hed probably throw poop at you before he throws plates

Top Bottom