Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

hypertrophy or HYPERTROPHY

Complete Muscle

I found this article on davedraper.com. It makes sense to me. I have only trained the #2 way. Has anyone trained both ways and can comment on it?

The body grows in two ways:

1) Hypertrophy caused by an increase in energy substances in the muscle cell (such as creatine and glycogen). This type of hypertrophy is caused by training that is high in volume (8-12 reps) with limited rest in between sets. This type of training enhances growth hormone output and lactic acid production. (If you stop training that is the reason that the muscles shrink so fast. The amount of the stored substances inside the muscle cell just go back to normal and the muscle shrinks).

2) Hypertrophy caused by an increase in the diameter of the muscle fiber (actual muscle growth). It seems that this type of muscle growth stays longer after a period of no training than the first type. I don't know if there are any studies out there that will back this up, but based on empirical evidence, this seems to be the case. This type of growth is caused by training that emphasizes long rests in between sets (3 minutes) and low reps (5-8). This type of training enhances testosterone level output. It seems like it takes longer to achieve this type of growth than the first one, but it is well worth it.

hahahahaha, that's some funny shit, cause number one is basically untrue. You muscle grow in only one way (when older)they add more actin and mysin or muscle tissue. The first basically is lieing to you about your body putting more fuel in the muscle will make it larger.

Ah to get paid to tell lies...

Basically there are three types of muscles slow twitch, the small but numerous which tire slowly, ie marathon runners.

Fat twitch, easily fatiguable but really big

and the inbetween FOG muscle fibers. In each to make them bigger you need to gain more mysin and actin, 8-12 reps is not a significant amount of time compared to 6-8 reps to change fiber types, It can change intercellular fluid but this is to gain muscle leverage for reall heavy duty lifting, don't worry about Draper is and idiot.

the first one is basically describing cell volumization. which happens but its not hypertrophy in the sense of the word. yes it does go away quickly, when the cell is depleted or when the substance that volumizes the cell is taken away or depleted and not replaced. homeostasis puts the cell back to normal size. but cell volumization can create a more optimal environment for nutrient uptake to facilitate hypertrophy....

...so draper is an idiot huh? Well he's a pretty muscular idiot! Suston I think you missed the point (that I've heard from others as well) that lower weight/higher rep training with less rest between sets compared to higher weight/less reps/more rest between sets causes a different response.

Let's not get hung up on semantics, although Nate I would agree that the #1 above is not true hypertrophy as I understand that term as well.

So nobody here has trained both ways and can comment on their effectiveness? Long term and/or short term???

Hypertrophy is an enlargement of the muscle fibers. When you workout you increase the glycogen stores, mitochondria, and you have a higher concentration of glycolytic enzymes. I kind of see what he is saying and Arnold even touched base on this. Arnold stated that there was a very large contrast between his relaxed arm and flexed arm due to his type of training. He did higher volume training with somewhat higher reps. His glycogen stores were very high. Franco Columbo trained with a powerlifting style and there was not much of as much of a difference between his flexed arm and relaxed arm as Arnolds. Although, when he wasn't flexing he looked more impressive. I'm not sure of the exact science but I do believe that a heavier lower rep routine will result in a more lasting result than high rep training alone. Of course, either way your muscle will atrophy so I don't necessarily see the point. Consistency is the key and you should try to stay in the gym as much as you can without missing too many workouts. Plus, I would think that as soon as you hit the gym after a layoff it would come back rather quickly.

So would there be any benefit in training low reps/longer rest for a while, then higher reps/shorter rest for a while? Say switch back and forth every 4 weeks? Some say yes, some say no. I'm looking for opinions of people WITH EXPERIENCE who can tell me the pluses and/or minuses.

I would say yes. You should try training with high reps and then switching back to low. You will notice that you will be stronger and your pumps should be better as well. I would also try some workouts where you do both. Sometimes I will lift extremely heavy and then pyramid down with two burnout sets.

The story that Arnold told about him vs Franco...was total BS. Arnold was a freak of nature. People have been trying to mimic his body ever since and they can not...but why? If you train like Arnold, use gear like Arnold, and are cocky like Arnold..why is still no one like Arnold? Genetics...plain and simple...genetics.

He looked the way he did because of who he was...not specifically the manner in which he trained.

B True

I was just reading an article about this in Ironman. It says that the mitochondria contribute 15-25% of a muscle cell and the sarcoplasm of the muscle cell will increase with medium to higher reps. Therefore, higher rep training will increase the size of the muscle cell by creating more mitochondria and increasing the sarcoplasm.

Complete Muscle said:
I found this article on davedraper.com. It makes sense to me. I have only trained the #2 way. Has anyone trained both ways and can comment on it?

The body grows in two ways:

1) Hypertrophy caused by an increase in energy substances in the muscle cell (such as creatine and glycogen). This type of hypertrophy is caused by training that is high in volume (8-12 reps) with limited rest in between sets. This type of training enhances growth hormone output and lactic acid production. (If you stop training that is the reason that the muscles shrink so fast. The amount of the stored substances inside the muscle cell just go back to normal and the muscle shrinks).

2) Hypertrophy caused by an increase in the diameter of the muscle fiber (actual muscle growth). It seems that this type of muscle growth stays longer after a period of no training than the first type. I don't know if there are any studies out there that will back this up, but based on empirical evidence, this seems to be the case. This type of growth is caused by training that emphasizes long rests in between sets (3 minutes) and low reps (5-8). This type of training enhances testosterone level output. It seems like it takes longer to achieve this type of growth than the first one, but it is well worth it.

OK Both of these are true.

#1 is called TRANSIENT hypertrophy. Its the same hypertrophy you initially get when you load CREATINE or get a PUMP. Basically, it will go away.

#2 is what we all consider hypertrophy.

#3 there is something called Muscle Cell HYPERPLASIA. This is a growth in the actual CELL NUMBER, and cell nuclei divide and increase the actual # of muscle fibers.

NFG

Top Bottom