Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

HST Vs Bill Starr's Madcow 5x5 For...

For a good balance between size/strength but moreso pushing towards size, what would you say would be the better routine? I realise there's a lot of factors to think of such as how the individual responds to a certain type of training etc, but if you HAD to pick one of the 2 which would you pick, and if possible explain why.

I'm interested to hear people's opinions on this:

HST - http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

Bill Starr's Madcow 5x5 - http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Periodized_5x5.htm

The thing about HST though is that there's so much waiting going on before you do any decent work. E.g. you start off working out your maxes (15,10,5 rep maxes) then you take around 2 weeks off for Strategic Deconditioning. You then still don't start wokring with heavy weights for weeks as you'll be doing 15 reps for 2 weeks, 10 reps for another 2 weeks, then finally you'll be doing 5 reps for 2-4 weeks. It just seems like a load of unnecessary waiting to me and seems to be far more complicated than is necessary. Another thing about HST is that it doesn't include deadlifts whatsoever and I find that extremely odd considering that deadlifts are one of the best exercises you can do for all round mass.

Madcow 5x5 seems to me like a real solid straight to the point no Bullsh*t training method. It has it's complicated methods but nothing like HST at all, and you start lifting heavy from the beginning which can only be a good thing.

It seems like I've answered my own question here as to which routine is better, but that's just MY opinon & I'd like to hear what other people think. If many of you feel HST is better & provide a reason as to WHY it is better, I may see myself beign more inclined to try out HST than Madcow 5x5.

Last edited:
Looks interesting, what is the HST guy selling?

Don't have time to fully investigate right now so I thought I might ask..

HST seems like BS to me... I agree with what you are saying. Generally the guys preaching a real complex method are just trying to sell something... go to HSTnutrition, and you will see just that.

Also, I don't think HST would really make you much more proficient at the exercises... you don't add any weight to the bar over your old maxes during a cycle... if anything it would just add mass, maybe a very small amount of strength.

For a good balance between size and strength gains, 5x5 is better. This is just my opinion having done the 5x5, I have not tried HST.

I don't actually think I'm even going to bother with HST anymore. I think 5x5 would be better than HST but there's still something nagging at me saying "maybe there is something better than 5x5 aswell". I'm not sure what to do.

Vanchatron said:
I don't actually think I'm even going to bother with HST anymore. I think 5x5 would be better than HST but there's still something nagging at me saying "maybe there is something better than 5x5 aswell". I'm not sure what to do.

If you haven't run the 5x5, and your goal is to gain size and strength, then run it.

ok, I read your other thread about all your training experience.

If you want more size but not necessarily strength (I assume this is because you are training at home with a limited setup), then I would go HST...provided you have enough equipment to do it.

I would also incorporate extreme fascia stretching into the HST program (there's a thread in C&C about this, I'll post the link).

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/chat-conversation/how-important-fascia-stretching-595445.html

Until you can get a gym membership, this is what I would do. When you get a gym membership, I'd read everything about DC training, and see if you think you're ready for it. And, don't fool yourself about it...be very honest. If you don't feel like throwing up (or if you don't throw up) after your first couple DC workouts...you weren't doing DC!!

Top Bottom