Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how wide is wide ? (squats)

GR8SCOT

just how wide is a wide stance when squating ? coming from a background of sprint cycling im used to squating with only shoulder width feet, however last night i tried my box squats with a wider stance and feet angled outwards. Feet were maybe half as wide again as shoulder width. Felt very awkward but i blitzed my squats. Funny how also my legs arent anywhere near as sore as 'regular' squat night.

so whats a good width for foot placement for a guy whos 6foot ?

regardless of height i say as wide as possible(at least in training) because you will target the right muscles bettterfor squatting heavy(hams ,hips ,glutes)fo me i go feet touching power rack and i'm 5'8".when you go for a max you can pull your feet in a bit but get used to squatting wide.at first the weights will be lower but really quick they go back up,it makes it really hard to squat down wide and you'll feel it in your hips,ass,hams big time,but it's easy to spring back up............just my .02

any problems with ballance with your feet that far apart ? i know for me it felt really weird and not all that stable.

actually you probaly won't have a balance problem ,you might fall backwards at first.you have to sit like your sitting on the toilet.you'll feel it in your hams .i had to get used to that form,cause my form sucked,but it's easy now.when you start your warm ups,just squat down as low as you can above your box to warm up,then go down to the box.grab the bar with no weight and practice sitting back and wide.it took me a bit to get used to it with no weight,i didn't really try to spread the floor with my feet(the way they describe)but helped to think about forcing your knees out,keep your chest out,lower back arched,lead with your ass.........not good at explaining it..:D

would it be smart to do wide squats one week, then closer stance squats the next, just to keep things fresh?

i was like the mann......(whats up big guy)...... i had a lot of problems getting the form coming from bodybuilding.

doing the bar is still very hard......... i have found that the better the weights get the better my form gets and the stronger i am...(better leverages)

i need the weight to get down that low........( i always box squat on a box 2-3 inches below parallel)

X

I am five foot seven, and my feet touch the edges of the power rack, if the rack was wider, I would probably go even wider. It was a gradual process to get to where I could go that wide. At first I was barely wider than my shoulders, but I have made a concerted effort to go wider every week and now I am as wide as my rack will allow, which at my height, is pretty wide.

At first I did not have strong enough hips and hamstrings to properly sit back with a wide stance, but now that I have developed my squatting muscles, I am a much better squatter than I was with a narrower stance.

Just move the stance out gradually, and before you know it, you will be touching the edges of the rack. Remember to push your knees out and sit back as far as possible on the box. At first this may be impossible, just use a higher box, and gradually get to proper form. It took me a few months before I got comfortable doing it this way.

Good luck,

B.

Top Bottom