Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how strong are you really?

Tuna Guy

How strong are you really
Back in 1956, in their groundbreaking work Weight Training in Athletics, Jim Murray and Dr. Peter Karpovich asked the question “How strong is strong?”. They consulted records and tested hundreds of subjects to determine what levels of strength had been attained by both weight-trained and nonweight-trained athletes. Based upon what they found they classified strength as “superior,” “unusual” and “champion.” Although the champions of today are stronger than those of 1956, what Murray and Karpovich learned is still very accurate, and very useful in assessing where you stand relative to other athletes. (Article taken from Musclemag, July 1998)

DEADLIFT
Superior: 200lbs over bodyweight
Unusual: 300lbs over bodyweight
Champion: 500lbs over bodyweight
SQUAT
Superior: 100lbs over bodyweight
Unusual: 200lbs over bodyweight
Champion: 300lbs over bodyweight
BENCH PRESS
Superior: 50lbs over bodyweight
Unusual: 100lbs over bodyweight
Champion: 200lbs over bodyweight
PRESS
Superior: Bodyweight
Unusual: 50lbs over bodyweight
Champion: 100lbs over bodyweight

*All exercises based on one single strict rep after adequate warm-up

this is a good starting point but I say have some fun and dont worry about gauging yourself TOO much. Just hit the gym!

looks like I am between unusual and champ in most, I SUCK at pressing!

996690549883_covers.jpg

I remember that article but I thought it had guidlines for curls and situps as well, does anyone have the poundages sited for those exercises?

This almost makes me miss coldblue's thread bumping/starting. Even a biceps poll from 2001 would be better than a thread about an article from something called "Musclemag".

Top Bottom