Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how to reach 400 pound bench

nedhero

Hi guys , I would like to know if there a special training routine besides benching to increase my bench, I have been tracking down my progress and from january of 2017 to july I di great progress I went from 280 to 340, my goal is 400, but the last few months the weight added was less then the first months, I'm big guy and have great strength but I guess I'm going to need more than my regular bench press work out routine, thanks.

There are a TON of bench training programs online. I'll tell you what I did to go from 300-400 (precisely 418lbs). Everything in strength is a percentage of max. So you go and test what your one rep max is (the most you can do for one rep).

I did 2 bench sessions a week. One was a speed / volume session. The other was a strength / power session. Westside Barbell works a bit like that.

So the first session - speed - is all about moving the bat from chest to arms length as fast as possible. For me that was with about 70% of my 1RM. I'd do 6 reps or so with that. Every rep I'd be thinking 'fast, fast, fast' in my head. This was also the session where I'd work on improving my form.

The other was power. So, again for me (the percentages and reps etc differ from one lifter to another) this was 90-95% of my max x 4-8 x 1 rep. I'm trying to move the bar fast but, cos it's heavy, it goes slower than the other session. I found if I can do 6+ singles at the bigger weights then the big weights was going up.

Part of a good bench is thickening exercises of the upper back. Another is tricep work (see weak points below).

One more thing - get someone who 'knows bench' to look at your form and see where your weak point is. Then do exercises to work the weak point.

Have a look at some Westside training videos on YouTube.

I would also say that only doing bench in order to increase the bench press is not the best thing to do. You should also do other workouts aimed at the same muscle groups, but a bit differently - overall strength and development will contribute to heavier benches!

I would also say that only doing bench in order to increase the bench press is not the best thing to do. You should also do other workouts aimed at the same muscle groups, but a bit differently - overall strength and development will contribute to heavier benches!

Yep. Although I only touched on it training upper back, the arch (if you can), front and rear delts, upper back and heavy tricep work will all ad weight to your bench press. Heck, even learning to squeeze the bar will

I reached 400 in bench by hopping on tren.. i mean i would have never gotten there without it at my weight being under 200 pounds

but it takes more than just using tren to get there... what i did was build consistency.. it takes time, that is why the strongest guys in your gym are typically in their 40's and early 50's

i simply slowly added more weight over time.. when i felt like my body was exhausted i would deload and take a step back and then build up consistency again at a lower weight. i remember the first time i did 250 i was so happy and set my goal for 300.. when i hit that i set my goal to do 3 plates.. hit that and set my goal for 350 and so on. each time i would get a new PR i would be so happy

btw doing so much weight i ended up tearing my rotator cuff in the process. so try not to sacrifice form to do heavy ass weight.

I'll let you know when I get there, lol. 400lbs on bench is no joke. I think Mobster gave you some really good tips. This is the area he specializes in so I would listen to him.

All I have ever tried is some 5x5 training personally. I have more trained for size than strength over my lifting career.

Top Bottom