Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How often to work forearms?

PainGains

I've always read that you should usually work forearms and abs almost daily. So I just got back into lifting after a long break and that's what I've been doing. They just feel over worked, fatigue fast...it just doesn't feel right. What do you guys suggest? Thanks

I don't think they need to be worked directly ever.
Heavy training (especially deadlifts) without straps is more than enough stress on your forearms.
Perhaps an exception applies for people who's deadlift fails because of a weak grip.

One thing to also consider is working the "extensor" muscles of the forearm which line up with the outside of the elbow. A cheap way to do this (borrowing from minor league baseball pitchers who usually don't have much money) is to take a thick rubber band and place it around your fingers loosely. Then slowly expand your fingers as far as they can go and feel the resistance of the rubber band work the back side of your forearm. You also can do this with a specially type of "silly putty" which is used by physical therapists to help with hand injury rehabiliation.

If nothing else, it is free (except for the cost of a thick rubber band!) and should lessen the intensity of any forearm/wrist pain you may experience. Do it a few times for each hand while sitting in front of the computer or TV and you should be fine.

Hope this helps you as you follow the other recommendations on this post.

Powerbuilder333 said:
I don't think they need to be worked directly ever.
Heavy training (especially deadlifts) without straps is more than enough stress on your forearms.
Perhaps an exception applies for people who's deadlift fails because of a weak grip.
I tend to agree. My forearms are quite large, and they're built from deadlifts, pull-ups, barbell rows, and hammer curls. I don't believe that they need direct (isolation) work.

Top Bottom