Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How often to train 1RM

hunter5

How often would it be advised to be testing your 1 rep max? I know it puts alot of stress and possible injury to the body. I just wanted to know a safe time table.

never, unless it is actual competition day. even if you are training for strength stick to 3-4 rep maxes, otherwise you will injure yourself

no pro athlete in any sport goes 100% until actual game day. that is why in the NFL they never even have padded practices during the season. they save their full 100% for game day so they are fresh

How often would it be advised to be testing your 1 rep max? I know it puts alot of stress and possible injury to the body. I just wanted to know a safe time table.

Never.

So by the logic of you guys if a person is not a competitive athlete in any sort of strength sport, this person can never test her maximum repetition?

Could a person only pull a single very heavy repetition if she were a powerlifter or strongman competitor?

I could not agree less with you guys. I don't think you need to test your 1RM every training session, but I believe that to build pure strength you should reach your maximum during training and I and don't believe you will get injured doing it.

So by the logic of you guys if a person is not a competitive athlete in any sort of strength sport, this person can never test her maximum repetition?

Could a person only pull a single very heavy repetition if she were a powerlifter or strongman competitor?

I could not agree less with you guys. I don't think you need to test your 1RM every training session, but I believe that to build pure strength you should reach your maximum during training and I and don't believe you will get injured doing it.

As opposed to the advice of every strength coach, strength athlete and the history of building strength??

If, for example, your very best bench was 100lbs x 1 and you were an average Joe then the risk is low. If, however, you get passed 400lbs and more then the risk is a LOT higher.

I do very well on what is, for me, a HIGH percentage of my 1 rep max. I can do multiple singles (4-8) with 90% of my 1 rep max. Now that might look, for an observer, like I'm doing a 1 rep max. But I know there's 10% left to play with.

The other reason I know this works is experience. I've tested it in the past and it's worked every time. Ergo I don't need to do it now for competitions.

Think of the risk in training for anything that requires an out and out max. Not just weights but anything. It's not like being accurate with target shooting. Or a sport that requires practice like snooker or golf.

Instead use the javelin. While occasional testing is ok throwing that spear just about as hard as you can risks seperation. Which requires recovery. So save that shit for the Olympics.

Top Bottom