Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How OFTEN Do You Train TRAPS?

How OFTEN Do You Hit Your Traps?

• NEVER (either dont need to, or LAZY)

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • 1x a week

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • 2x a week

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • 3x a week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4x a week

• 5x a week

• 6x a week

• Everyday

• Total voters
I only train them directly once per week when I do shoulders, although they get some work when I do deads, etc. I definetly need to work them more however. What are some good trap exercises? I've done pretty much every variation of shrugs, dumbell, barbell, smith machine, etc.

I'm currently hitting traps once per week on Friday.I'm doing power cleans for 5 or 6 sets of 3 reps, followed by a set of high-rep deadlifts.

What are power cleans? Do you do regular deadlifts? I usually do SL deads when I work legs, although it seems traditional deads would work the traps some more.

DC-Power cleans are one of the quick lifts that olympic-style weightlifters use.There are two "portions" to this pull which starts out the same as a deadlift and finishes with the bar "racked" across the clavicles in the same position as one would use to start a front squat or overhead press.
Here's a quick description:Start with the bar on the floor in the same way you would a conventional deadlift.Same grip,foot spacing,stance,etc.The first "pull" is from the floor to the knee level and is done with the same speed as a deadlift(fairly slow).The second pull is from the knee level to the mid chest level and is done explosively by shooting the hips forward,jumping up on the toes and explosively shrugging the traps.These three motions are done simultaneously to elevate the bar to the chest level, whereupon the lifter "drops down under the bar whipping his elbows underneath it.These two actions "rack" the bar on the chest and the lifter stands up.This is one rep.It is dubbed a quick lift because it must be done that way in order to perform it properly.
I do this lift for the traps because of the explosive movement, which really stimulates them into growth.
Yes, I do regular deadlifts.Usually with a wide grip while standing on a 4 inch platform.

Oh I see, very good description of power cleans. I think I'm going to try them out next time at the gym.

It seems like both power cleans and dead lifts use a lot of legs, do you use either of those on your leg days at all? Also, does changing your grip width effect the muscles used significantly?

DC-Be very,very careful when attempting power cleans.Especially the first couple of times.Ideally, you should seek out a qualified olympic lifting coach to teach you the form, as they are a very complex movement.Quite a few people have been injured doing them.If you do try them, use very light weights(initially) and focus on form and speed rather than poundages.
Power cleans heavily involve the leg muscles and I usually do them on leg days.The wide grip deadlifts seem to hit the traps better, and I do mine on a platform which increases the range of motion, which hits the legs better.This has been my primary leg exercise, but I've just begun back and front squats, so these deads are taking the backseat for now.

Top Bottom