Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How much rest between sets?

Mme.Tenebrae

How much rest time should I take in between sets? Mycoach insists on a minute in between each approach to the weights,but I constantly see guys take so much less rest in between sets. Sowhat is the really best time?

Your coach is right and wrong.

If your goal is bodybuilding, you want to train with a fast pace to keep the blood in the muscle and your heart rate up. This will give you the best pump and best fat burning effect during your workout.

For small muscle groups I like 30-60 seconds rest between sets.

When you are training big compound lifts like squats, deadlifts - I like 60-90 seconds between sets.

Use as much rest as you need between sets but no more. I always tell my clients to train with a go go go mentality. Train like you are late for work.

Too much rest is definitely not good for bodybuilding purposes - you need to have little rest of approximately 30-60 seconds in order to keep the blood running. If you are going for strength, you need to take some more rest of a few minutes in order to get together for a heavy lift.

Depending on my goals and the exercise I will change my rest periods. For a big muscle movement like squats I will do 90 seconds between sets. For things like bench press I will take 60 seconds. For isolation movements like curls I will take 45 seconds. I track my workouts with an app so I am able to time each set very easily.

Top Bottom