Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How much Lighter Is Your Warm Up Weight Than Your Workout Weight?

curling

I usually go anywhere from 20 to 30 lbs lighter than my first "heavy" or "real" set. Then I progress to add weight on each subsequent set. What is weird is sometimes I do more reps on my second and third heavy set than I do on my first heavy set. Maybe the muscles are more stetched on the the second and third set than they were on the first.

So what about ya'll?

I do tons of warm-ups. I must be sweating by the time I do my first set!!!!

B True

Your warm-up weight should be decided by % of 1RM and not by weight.

Imagine someone with af 1RM of 500 lbs deadlift using 470 lbs for warm-up. It's 30 lbs lighter than 1RM, but it doesn't make sense.

I agree with "b fold the truth" in doing a lot of warm-up reps before the heavy stuff sets in. Just remember not to wear out your muscles during the warm-up so you're got nothing left to give on the heavy weights.

The following warm-up sequence (from Max-OT) works for me:

12 reps/44% of 1RM (4/9)
10 reps/44% of 1RM (4/9)
6 reps/56% of 1RM (5/9)
3 reps/67% of 1RM (6/9)
1 rep/78% of 1RM (7/9)

I'm pretty much the same as you also, curling.... except I can't add more weight with each set. I usually go down in reps with each set.... but sometimes I'm stronger on my second set than my first. I think it's because your muscles stretch out a bit, and your tendons and ligaments line up and are prepared for the movement.

Top Bottom