Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

By how much increase my weights?

NSS&DAS

By how much do I need to increase the weights I lift?By a fixed percentage, as I feel, or depending on the reps I can do?For example, if I can bench 100 kgs for 8 reps. Should I increase itby 20% to be 120kg, or as much as I can lift for 8 reps? Or maybemore weight less reps?

That depends, but I would try to add as much weight as you can lift for the same amount of reps. So if you do 100kg for 8 reps, then try adding weight while you can still lift it for 8 reps. We are all different, and some of your muscle groups may be faster growing, so you need to adapt to each muscle group in particular.

No, no, no. I've been training longer than some of the mods have been alive and so have made mistakes they've yet to make. There's no damn rush so adding as much weight as possible is pointless. Here's an example:

I used to train in a gym near where I lived in London (the 'Blue Rock Gym'). It had a leverage style leg press. Every time I came in I'd add a 1.25-kilo disc to each side. A couple of guys teased me saying 'you'd barely notice it' to which I replied 'precisely'. I pointed out that if I added the 2 x 1.25-kilo discs (so 2.5kg) EVERY DAMN WEEK FOR A YEAR... THAT'S 125-KILOS. Which, in the of that machine meant I'd max it out at 560-kilos / 1232lbs for reps.

5% is plenty.

What I like to do is stick with the same weight and increase my repetitions. Once I get to a set number of reps, then I increase the weight and do the same thing all over again.

For example, let's say I can bench press 100 pounds for 6 reps. I will stick with 100 pounds until I can do 12 reps. Then I will increase the weight and keep with that weight until I can do 12 reps. And so on.

Ok guys, got it - will try both adding the 5%, and will also try to do as muskate says - will see what works best in practice for me. What about some muscles that respond better to repetitions, and not weight - what do I do about them?

I train more for muscle growth than strength so I will stay more in the 8-12 rep range. I always use the first set as my gauge. If I can do more than 12 reps on the first set then I will increase my weight next time. It depends on the exercise. If it is a dumbbell exercise I will likely just go to the next weight. If it was a bench I would add 5-10lbs typically.

Top Bottom