Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How much of a correlation is there between low rep strength and higher rep endurance

ronki23

Hi,

For past 7 months I've been doing a routine similar to starting strength 3x5 and my 5RM / 1RM are:

Bench 135lb, 145lb
Overhead Press 80lb, 95lb
Squat: 205lb,220lb
Deadlift: 210lb, 220lb
Row: 80lb, 100lb
Power Clean:80lb,95lb

But my higher rep maxes are weaker- for lower body I do around 12 and 10 for upper body

Bench 110lb x 8
Overhead 75lb*
Squat 160x 12
Deadlift 160x8*
Row 70lbx 10
Clean and Press 75lb x 8

* I've been doing higher volume- Arnold Schwarzenegger's beginner workout 3x a week instead of 6x a week

Are my Deadlifts and push press (I only do it on Arnold's; on 3x5 I do strict) weak because Deadlifts are done after a set of 50 rep chins and barbell rows??

Is my push press weak because of my clean and press earlier?

And my bicep curls are weak; on 3x5 I couldn't even curl 45lb for 8 reps and now my curls are 40lb for 8

Re: How much of a correlation is there between low rep strength and higher rep endura

This is probably a stupid question, but does doing the isolation exercises after compound ones make them harder? I can't even get 10 reps curling 45lbs and I do less than 15lbs for tricep extensions but it's after I do chins/dips which in turn are after cleans and presses.

I've been doing the Arnold Beginner workout and I can't even Bench 100lbs on Incline after I do 110-120lbs on flat for 10 reps x 4 sets. Deadlifts (which I can do around 210 x 5) I can only do 165 x 8 because I did sets of 50 chins (assisted) and barbell rows (4x 10 with 70lbs) beforehand.

Re: How much of a correlation is there between low rep strength and higher rep endura

Bro, you're going to have to organize your questions a little better. That post was a mess and I'm so confused lol. I'll try to help you out as much as I can, but next time post your questions a little more clearly.

Of course your big compound lifts are going to get weaker when you do them after your other lifts. I wouldn't be able to deadlift as much either if I did my pull ups / chin ups prior to my deadlifts. One, they're both working your back. Two, it's very taxing on your body. After I do my entire back workout I always finish off with biceps, and my arms are already tired as shit from all the rows and pull ups. I can only curl a fraction of the weight I normally could if I did them first thing in the workout.

If I read correctly, you can bench press 135lbs for 5 reps, but only 145 for 1 rep? To me that's strange. If you can get 135lbs for 5 reps, you should be able to get more than 145lbs for 1 rep.

Please tell me your goals, what program you're doing now, and maybe myself or someone else can help you out further.

Well let me show it to you this way..

When i started lifting my max bench was lets say 185....after strength training for a while i did 3x20 with 195(like 6 months ago)

it was the first time i recall ever going that high reps on bench in fact it was rare if i did 5 reps

So yes it does help high reps

Bro, you're going to have to organize your questions a little better. That post was a mess and I'm so confused lol. I'll try to help you out as much as I can, but next time post your questions a little more clearly.

Of course your big compound lifts are going to get weaker when you do them after your other lifts. I wouldn't be able to deadlift as much either if I did my pull ups / chin ups prior to my deadlifts. One, they're both working your back. Two, it's very taxing on your body. After I do my entire back workout I always finish off with biceps, and my arms are already tired as shit from all the rows and pull ups. I can only curl a fraction of the weight I normally could if I did them first thing in the workout.

If I read correctly, you can bench press 135lbs for 5 reps, but only 145 for 1 rep? To me that's strange. If you can get 135lbs for 5 reps, you should be able to get more than 145lbs for 1 rep.

Please tell me your goals, what program you're doing now, and maybe myself or someone else can help you out further.

I can squat 225 for 1 or 200 for 5

Yet if I go for 12 it's only 175lb

I can row 100lb for 5 but I can only do 85 for 12

And my bench is around 135x5 but for 12 I can only get 110lb

And my curls are terrible; 20lbs per at or a 40lb dumbbell

My higher reps are really bad,ifi can get 12reps I the first set I only get 8-9 in second set

From Nov-Jun I was doing 3x5 or workout like starting strength

The. In June I stopped progressing so am temporarily doing Arnold's beginner workout 3x a week. You know, the one in the encyclopaedia he published

Want to go to back to low reps but stopped progressing on them

Want to go to back to low reps but stopped progressing on them
Maybe you are trying to max out too frequently. Try going every other session with an AMRAP day. Take about 85% of your 1rm for as many reps as you can before form breaks down, not failure.

Maybe you are trying to max out too frequently. Try going every other session with an AMRAP day. Take about 85% of your 1rm for as many reps as you can before form breaks down, not failure.

I used to be able to do30 push ups in 2009 when I was in the 160s and had below 20% body fat. Very weak in barbell (heck, didn't even have a squat rack and barbell only went up to 110lbs at old gym so bench and Deadlift suffered [couldn't even get bar off floor for bench so used smith machine and dumbbells- 2*40 for 4 reps and dead lifted 2*75 for 2 or 2*60 for 8)

Even last year when I was under 180 I could do 20 push ups on my first/6 fingertip push ups. But last year I did wrestling and high reps of push ups,squats and sit ups in my room and didn't each much protein (or anything) as I was living away from home at college

But now when my barbell lifts are higher and both weight and body fat are higher, I can do only 10 push ups or 2 fist push ups. Only cardio I do is jiu jitsu once a week.

And I get tired doing 20 reps blank bar squats or double overhand Deadlifts with blank bar for my warm ups-yet I can squat and Deadlift over 205 x 5 or squat 160 for 10

Is it because different fibres are targeted?

Top Bottom