Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how many sets/reps is TOO MUCH????

diamonddiceclay

I've heard some experts advise 15-20 reps and 20 sets and I've heard others call for a totally different approach. Is there such a thing as too much for 1 day? by the way, my goal is to get ripped but not huge-

Theres no such thing as too much in one day, for the most part. As far as Im concerned. However, too much frequency can be detrimental. After training, when the muscle is healing, its best to hit other body parts and allow the muscle to heal and grow. The body can adapt to extreme training and will.

Fuck these pre determined routines though. Dont worry about reps and sets. Just push each set hard to failure. Dont stop when you hit a number of reps. Those are the people that never change.

Focus on pyramiding up in weight each set. Take those to failure, aside from maybe a warm up or two. The reps will naturally decrease as you go up in weight and are pre exhausted. This gives you a full spectrum of rep ranges. When you reach the top of the pyramid you can descend down by dropsetting without rest. Since you are unlikely to break records at that point.

Also try to hit more reps on each of those sets, each time. Its very important to always strive for more strength. You dont want to completely neglect form however. Otherwise you may make a movement useless basically. Putting your body into most movements is useful though. You should also mix in stricter work too. Power and explosive sets are great, but its also important to hit sets that keep constant tension on the muscle, without ballistics. So mix it up.

KILL THAT SHIT

I was taught to increase weight if u can do over 20 reps. My own opinion is to decrease weight if I do under 10 reps. It's worked for me.

Too much. Depends. Too much can be when it keeps you from training your next session. Or when the next time you train, you haven't recovered. So, you can't lift or perform as well. This is never a one size fits all question. Some people go to failure. I go to a rep or two before.

Is there really "too much" sets/ reps? If you can do it, then it is not too much. Too much is when you cannot do it anymore. and it is still not too much...

if you are going in there balls to the wall like a gorilla and throwing weight around then it will eventually catch up to you.. there has to be a method to your madness.

it is no different then a runner who does nothing but interval training everyday. it can actually hurt your speed and not help cause injuries can mount.

i'm all for killing that shit every workout, but you have to give your muscles a chance to recover. you can't just go in there and bench everyday 1-2 rep maxes and not expect to create imbalances and injure yourself. we are humans, not robots here.. why do you think NFL running backs break down so young, rarely do they make it into their 30's worth a damn. its cause they take a pounding every play blocking and getting hit

if you are going in there balls to the wall like a gorilla and throwing weight around then it will eventually catch up to you.. there has to be a method to your madness.

it is no different then a runner who does nothing but interval training everyday. it can actually hurt your speed and not help cause injuries can mount.

i'm all for killing that shit every workout, but you have to give your muscles a chance to recover. you can't just go in there and bench everyday 1-2 rep maxes and not expect to create imbalances and injure yourself. we are humans, not robots here.. why do you think NFL running backs break down so young, rarely do they make it into their 30's worth a damn. its cause they take a pounding every play blocking and getting hit

Definitely right about nfl backs. There aren't many Emmitt Smiths and Curtis Martins. They had amazing longevity...

If after 20 you feel like you can do 5 more than up it but if you feel exhausted after than that's the right weight and number of reps.

Top Bottom