Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how many sets of each

okay thanks alot.

but in answer to the goign to failure, no im definately not, because im doing 5x5 and started really low like suggested so i dont platue fast.

but i am getting weaker after them cause i can feel its harder in the last 2 sets of 5x5 than in the first two.

and i the only thing i went to failure on was 3rd set of incline and 2nd set of decline, and the flys of course no failure on that...

how does this sound for chest workout:

5x5 flat every week

2x8-10 for incline every other week, but 2x8-10 for decline the week i dont do incline

then 2x8-10 db flys?

would that be my complete chestworkout? jeez it still seems like so little

SublimeZM said:
k i think im severely overtraining then.

Its true. There are MANY variables. But Ill put your overtraining worries to rest!! I started with a minimum of 12 sets for the small body parts and 15 for larger ones, but often exceeded it. These days my training is a fucking disease! My breakdown differs alot, and its never the same. Lots of instinctual training in my routines, though there are underlying principles I adhere too, for the most part. Heres a typical week for me. The breakdown:

Biceps: Often 15 sets,then another 12-15 sets when I hit em again later in the week. There are times I exceed 20 sets, even with brutal dropsets and beyond failure sets.

Triceps: 12-15 sets (sometimes more)

Chest: Often 40+ sets for the week. Thursday may be flat bench and speed bench day. Thats 11-14 sets just of flat bench, then another 10 sets of light speed benching. This is followed by 5 sets of cable flies, and often push-ups to failure after that. Most all of the actual flat bench sets, aside from speed bench, are heavy and to failure sets. The reps range from 1-30+ to failure.
Then Sunday is incline work. I will hit 11-14 sets of incline bench (mostly to failure as well) and then do 5 sets of flies followed by some push-ups, or something similiar to that. Somtimes I skip the flies and push-ups. Ill post up a week of chest training from my journal if you want a sample. So I may hit 20-30 sets on one chest day, depending when I do the speed bench. Which is very easy and very light. But thats only 10 sets. The rest is heavy benching and heavy flies. I wouldnt be surprised if I exceed 50 sets for chest on some weeks. Dont really add them up.

Shoulders: 12-15 sets. I just started direct work for my shoulders again. Id say I hit around 12-15 sets for them directly. I usually hit them after inclines on sundays.

Back: 25-30+ sets. When Im deadlifting on my back days, which I was doing every week for the last 2 years or so, (recently switched things up) my sets often broke 30 on back day alone. Feel free to check my journal, since they wont be hard to find, or I can post some samples up on here. I would hit many sets of deadlifts with different variations, bar behind the legs in the rack, bar behind the legs off the floor, deadlifts off the rack, deadlifts off the floor. Often including 3 of these variations each back workout. Not to mention the additional 15 or more sets of rows and upper back work. Different days vary, but this was the norm for me. Its something Ive worked up to though. Just as one increases weight and reps, I beleive you can train for the ability to take more abuse in the gym, muscle endurance. It wasnt really intentional, but just a result of the way Ive trained.

Legs: 15 sets typically. I just started training them directly again. I stopped for a while since deadlifting was taking over in my routines. Didnt want to interfere with the deadlifting strength. Now I have to change things up though, so I dont rip my spine out! My leg routines are much less volume then everything else. Each set is usually pretty brutal though. The presses mainly. I used to rep 800x52, with a number of other high rep brutal sets until the point of vomitting weekly. And it didnt do much for me. I did this for years. So now Im looking to make some changes in my leg routine as well.

Abs: 4 sets 4X a week. Atleast I try to get them in atleast 4X. Just heavy weighted work in the 15 rep range usually. This is to prevent a tear in my stomache during deadlifts. Once I started heavy ab work the sharp pain in my abs while pulling, went away.

Rear delts: 4 sets 1X-2X a week.

Forearms: No real direct work these days. I use the COC grippers in my down time.

Calves: 4 sets 1X a week.

Traps: Varies. I stopped doing trap work when I was deadlifting and my traps got much denser and larger. Thats cuz I was deadlifting like a maniac and didnt need direct trap work. Now that Im deadlifting less frequently (or atleast thats the plan) I may include 4+ sets of direct trap work in my back routines. There was a time when Id hit 12 sets for traps alone and this also worked great. Traps is not a weak point for me however, and is probabally my most stand out bodypart, and the quickest to respond to training.

Lower Back: I get enough of that deadlifting, but I will hit 3 sets maybe 3-4X a week on the hyper extentions to keep the area strong. Ill often add some 45's by hanging 2 45's at arms length and do 15 reps.

Hope that helps!

Ok Beast, I now officialy think you are crazy!!! :) you must have amazing genes to be able to do that. 11 - 14 sets just of flat bench?
You say you reach failure on most those sets, How many reps is that per set? do you start with 15 reps and go down each set? do you change the weights each set? Please post the specifics. I am intrigued. How many days does it take you to recover. Do your triceps hurt also after this? Are you human?!!!

Allon said:
Ok Beast, I now officialy think you are crazy!!! :) you must have amazing genes to be able to do that. 11 - 14 sets just of flat bench?
You say you reach failure on most those sets, How many reps is that per set? do you start with 15 reps and go down each set? do you change the weights each set? Please post the specifics. I am intrigued. How many days does it take you to recover. Do your triceps hurt also after this? Are you human?!!!

I could do that too and so could you if you spent 7 hours a day in the gym like he does.............lol......................WB - you would grow through the f-ing roof in you cut that down to an hour of training, intense!.............I'll bet you food for a month!

SublimeZM said:
okay thanks alot.

but in answer to the goign to failure, no im definately not, because im doing 5x5 and started really low like suggested so i dont platue fast.

but i am getting weaker after them cause i can feel its harder in the last 2 sets of 5x5 than in the first two.

and i the only thing i went to failure on was 3rd set of incline and 2nd set of decline, and the flys of course no failure on that...

how does this sound for chest workout:

5x5 flat every week

2x8-10 for incline every other week, but 2x8-10 for decline the week i dont do incline

then 2x8-10 db flys?

would that be my complete chestworkout? jeez it still seems like so little

Not even close to enough if you want your chest to grow.

flat bench:
warmup
warmup
5x5
cooldown/burnout set at a lighter weight, min. 10reps

incline/decline:
at least 4 sets without a warmup

Work in dbs for barbell incline and decline every now and again.

Take a look at walkingbeast's journal or any of Jkurz's routine threads for back, bis and tris, etc.

uhoh.

i just got mixed up again, i decided i was fine with the 5x5 and 2 and 2, and now im just fucked again ;)

SublimeZM said:
uhoh.

i just got mixed up again, i decided i was fine with the 5x5 and 2 and 2, and now im just fucked again ;)

I`ve never done 5X5 , I`ve just read a little about it a while ago. What does it call for exactly? 5X5, then what? Why don`t you start out like that, or a little less, then work your way up from there to where the program suggests. You can`t do set after set after set and expect to keep intensity and strenghth up. Use your judgement. Are you growing, are you getting stronger? Go up or down from there with your training, AND your diet. Trial and error, but try the guidelines first.

Good luck.

Bro everone is going to tell you different. Some advicate hi volume some low. You have to try diferent things and see what works. If you grow off of hi volume then stick with it. If your not try the 5x5 metyhod or hst. Me personally used to train hi volume like beast but I hit a plateu so now Im trying 5x5 like you. Just give 5x5 time to work and maybe add another 2 sets to chest back and legs if you have to but belive me ask needsize just wait till you far enough along in the 5x5 that your breaking your pr every workout you wont need the other sets.

GOOD POINT BIGDHO.

I forgot to include you on my last log.

I should swing by your gym this weekend. I will be back in the hoosier state soon!

JKurz1 said:
I could do that too and so could you if you spent 7 hours a day in the gym like he does.............lol......................WB - you would grow through the f-ing roof in you cut that down to an hour of training, intense!.............I'll bet you food for a month!

:FRlol: :FRlol: :FRlol: You like calling me out dont you? Seven hours is pretty rare these days, and thats not an everyday thing. Im guessing your also saying my training isnt intense either. If anyone can do it, Id like to see some people post it up. Thats like if you told me you could bench 350 and I told you anyone can do it. Not true at all. Takes alot of work. Most all my sets are to complete failure or beyond. Wheres the lack of intensity? Ill let my journal tell the rest of the story.

49062thumb.jpg

Top Bottom