Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How many exercises per body part

witkowsd

How many exercises per body part and how many sets are enough. Looking over the the threads it seems like I do way to many for each body part.

Louden defies convention -- but that's cool -- he's jacked and strong... so something must be working. :)

I tend to do 5-8 WORK SETS per bodypart... depending on the muscle group... higher number of worksets for larger muscle groups, lower for others -- a workset is a set where I am doing 5 or few reps --- or a higher rep at a much higher weight that is extremely strenious... typically, I only count rep ranges of 3-5 with an accordingly higher amount of weight.

C-ditty

I really don't pay attention to total set numbers. As long as I'm out of the gym between 45 minutes and an hour and something's bleeding I'm happy:)

Thaibox said:
I really don't pay attention to total set numbers. As long as I'm out of the gym between 45 minutes and an hour and something's bleeding I'm happy:)

Did you guys happen to read my story of the bleeding nose and puking after a recent leg workout thread on Chemical Muscle??

Maybe I should move it over here LOL

c-ditty

Citruscide said:

Did you guys happen to read my story of the bleeding nose and puking after a recent leg workout thread on Chemical Muscle??

Maybe I should move it over here LOL

c-ditty
On my way to check it out:)

If you're starting out generally:

8-10: shoulders (small muscle group)
7-9: biceps (small muscle grup, short workout)
10-15 back (large muscle group)
10-12 chest
10-15 legs
8-10 Triceps

That's higher than many guys on this forum will advise, however most people here are more experienced lifters and can get more out of less. I'm not saying that high volume is good for starters (and this certainly isn't HIGH volume) but you need to develop the mind-muscle connection.

As you get the hang of really isolating the intended muscle group and getting as much power as you can out of it, then you can adjust the volume accordingly.

You can (and should) do abs, but their schedule depends on the person. I usually work abs three days a week, but some people go as high as everyday. If you're more of a bodybuilder that would be fine, but if you're looking to get sheer power and doing a lot of the primary compound lifts (deads, squats, bench) I recommend a little less. For Deads and squats, lower back and abs play a HUGE role and it would be uncomfortable and maybe even dangerous to do heavy squats with abs that were weak from a different workout.

Forearms and Calves should also be trained, but they can be beat on pretty heavily. I don't even train calves since I get enough stimulation from squats and running to keep them in good shape. Forearms I absolutely hate to train and do with biceps. Doing wrist curls to failure makes me want to vomit it burns so badly.

I'd say 2 exercises for a larger muscle group and 1 for a smaller.

2 sets each is a decent compromise.

A general rule I follow ( by Dr Wayne Wescott ) " more is not better". I have always responed with 3-5 sets per muscle. I do 2 warm ups and 3 really, really intense sets. I think intensity in wotkouts has alot to do with how many sets we really need.

Msboss

Top Bottom