Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How long will a proper 5x5 routine work how it's supposed to?

forgotten1

In other words, how long on average does it take untili you plateau out? There's no way you can add 5lbs every week forever, so how long is one usually able to continue adding as the program says?

It depends on the starting point. I feel it's very important to start nice and low so that you can get a good base for training with 5 sets of 5 reps. Just start somewhere well below what you think you can do and the gains will come steady each week. Once you stop with getting all 5 of 5 then switch to 5x3 and you should be able to keep going. When I first started on bench for example I started at 185 5x5 which was quite light. I worked up to 240 for 5x5 before maxing and getting 290. The second time around I started at 225 and I got stuck at 250 for 5x5 so the week after I did 5x3 with 255 and got that no problem 260 should fall this wednesday for 5x3.

I went exactly 14 week without stalling, after that I went caput and had a tournament.

Incline 205 to 285 5x5, just eat a lot and train hard and smart

so essentially, if when i start 5x5, my last few reps on the last set shouldn't be a struggle? i did a 'test run' a week or two ago with 135 and the last rep of set 4 i felt it a little, and the last 2 reps of set 5 gave me a decent run, but i wasn't in a bad position. i'd say i got a good hard pump out of them though. so maybe i should drop to 125 when i start 5x5?

It's definately better to start too light, than to start too heavy.
So If there's any question, I would go lighter.

Starting lighter is hard to do initially, but its well worthit further down the line.

I would add that the 5lb increments are a guide, smaller incredents than this are good for lighter movements or for beginers using less weight. Its all about % and how much strength the body can add...

I would say for a starting point, take what you do for 8 reps, and use about 86-87% of that for your starting point of the 5 reps.
(Based off of needsize's ex. : If 225x8....then start with 195x5).

I am in my fourth week since starting the 5X5 and I am loving it. Yeah, I felt like a wimp dropping down in weight, but doing real slow controlled reps throughout the 5X5 has been great. I have never really watched steadily my weakly rep and weight gains, but the 5X5 has reformed me to write everything down and now I can see the gains right in front of me. Squats were always a tuff point for me due to some knee problems, but now doing them with a slow pace and going real low I enjoy leg days more than I ever have. It takes time, but the benefits will come in time. And yes, eat tons and tons of food!

Top Bottom