Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How long does it take until you start seeing strength gains after taking a long break

the.gladiator1987

Platinum
I took 3 months off, strength went way down. Now Im working out and for the 2nd straight week I feel better, but nothing drastic. No major strength gains. Obviously its gonna take a little longer. I just wanna hop back on cycle but I dont wanna do it if I can get some strength back naturally first.

Im thinking of doing 12 weeks of a 5x5 routine - when would be a good time to start that? I would then start a cycle after I stall on a 5x5

Re: How long does it take until you start seeing strength gains after taking a long b

I notice gains immediately workout to workout whether on or off after a long layoff.

I just make sure I eat enough and sleep enough.

I have come back off a long layoff many times and 5x5 linear style has ALWAYS worked awesome. 5lbs jump every week is the slow method building back up and beyond over several months time and 10lbs a week is the fast way, but obviously loads your body alot harder.

This is the 5x5 I would recommend

Monday

squat 5x5, last set is the heavy main set
bench 5x5 same deal
row 5x5 same schtick

wednesday

military press 5x5
deadlift OR powerclean 5x5
pullups OR chinups 5x5

Friday

Squat 4x5 warmup sets, 5th set do a triple with 5-10lbs more than monday, then do a 6th set of 8 with your 4th warmup set, example 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x3, 275x8

Bench-Do the same things as the squat above

Next monday squat and bench the weight you did triples with for 5 reps and then that following friday go up 5-10lbs and do a triple etc etc.

This has NEVER failed me so long as sleep and eating were in order. Actually it has never failed me period and I've come off more layoffs than I care to admit.

I would suggest finding "roughly" where your max is on the squat, bench and dead and then set your starting weight below that where you are confident you can do a solid set of 5 without having to work too hard. That way within a week or 2 you will be straining, but it will always feel doable especially because you know on monday's that you only have to do 5 reps with what you did a triple on the friday before.

Re: How long does it take until you start seeing strength gains after taking a long b

I notice gains immediately workout to workout whether on or off after a long layoff.

I have come back off a long layoff many times and 5x5 linear style has ALWAYS worked awesome. 5lbs jump every week is the slow method building back up and beyond over several months time and 10lbs a week is the fast way, but obviously loads your body alot harder.

This is the 5x5 I would recommend

Monday

squat 5x5, last set is the heavy main set
bench 5x5 same deal
row 5x5 same schtick

wednesday

military press 5x5
deadlift OR powerclean 5x5
pullups OR chinups 5x5

Friday

Squat 4x5 warmup sets, 5th set do a triple with 5-10lbs more than monday, then do a 6th set of 8 with your 4th warmup set, example 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x3, 275x8

Bench-Do the same things as the squat above

Next monday squat and bench the weight you did triples with for 5 reps and then that following friday go up 5-10lbs and do a triple etc etc.

This has NEVER failed me so long as sleep and eating were in order. Actually it has never failed me period and I've come off more layoffs than I care to admit.

I would suggest finding "roughly" where your max is on the squat, bench and dead and then set your starting weight below that where you are confident you can do a solid set of 5 without having to work too hard. That way within a week or 2 you will be straining, but it will always feel doable especially because you know on monday's that you only have to do 5 reps with what you did a triple on the friday before.

Awesome bro. I feel like this would be perfect routine for me as a pre cycle routine to get some strength back. I dont wanna hop on when i can still bust out some natty strength. I lost a lot too :( Thats what happens when you start your PCT and you have a baby at the same time. Being a new dad = no time for the gym. Now that he is 3 months old, I have some more time.

Ill also prob add some abs on monday, pullups on wednesday, and dips/curls on friday

good for you getting real priorites straight.
I have to take 2 months off every year. May 15- july 15.
Ive found that every year it gets easier to gain it back. Its worked best for me to start with whole body workouts 3 times a week, than start to split it out. So a month of full body workouts 3-4 days a week, than legs, chest/back, arms shoulders, off repeat for a month than legs, chest/tris/front delts, back/bis/rear/side delts, off repeat.
With that being said, i do the 5*5 routine once a year and focus on strength till I peak out than go back to more of a body building routine, and I think that the 5*5 workout would work great. My only fear would be that you'll probably progress faster than the format of the routine and if you try and skip ahead you end up stalling in it very pre-maturely.

goodluck

Thanks peter, I actually believe in the philosophy of strength training and then switching to more of a bodybuilder style of training, then go back to strength training, repeat. I believe thats the best way to get size and strength

I think if I can follow the 5x5 and only add 5lbs to bench/military a week and 10lbs to dead/squat a week, I will progress for a while. The worst part is trying to do too much and then stalling

BTW congrats on getting 1st place!!! lookin swole brotha!

that's the secret to fast gains there.

Better diet = better gains

just dive right back in.. who cares if you are sore, the body will adjust quickly.. muscle memory is a wonderful thing.

pro athletes take time off to rest up, so its not a totally bad thing.. i remember you were having some issues in your forearms so i'm sure the time off gave u a chance to rest.

I've been hammering away nonstop since mid 2009.. the longest i stopped was 2 weeks to give my joints a chance to heal up, but i realize that i probably should take a break at some point to let things heal up.

It SUCKS coming back from a long break. Just stay focused and you'll cross that hump in a few weeks

I know you probably don't want to say...

But any chance you could post up what your numbers are right now for the big 3?

Yeah...I don't buy into the whole "Taking a break" bit...:( The only time I ever take off from the gym is when I feel I am getting sick/or when I do get sick as this aggravates the illness. <---this probably accounts for two weeks out of the year, then I have days where I can't make it to the gym for priority reasons (work, travel, family, etc) which is probably another two weeks altogether. I see that as my one month off during the year.

Top Bottom