Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How long can you keep gaining stength realistically using 5x5 and 5x3?

Slyder190

I love 5x5 and will switch to 5x3 when I need to eventually. The party has to end some time though (at which point 1-2 weeks off will come into play). Just wondering how long some of you bros out there kept moving forward.

slyder190 said:
I love 5x5 and will switch to 5x3 when I need to eventually. The party has to end some time though (at which point 1-2 weeks off will come into play). Just wondering how long some of you bros out there kept moving forward.

I had steady progress for almost a year.

The key is to make sure you start out at weights that aren't very difficult, and gradually increase resistance. Like 5 lbs/workout. That should ensure some long progress. But then when you do plateau, I'd take a week off, then start back again at maybe 50 lbs less on your main moves, and make gradual increases again. That's how I'd do it anyway.

So RUS....

You put up 5lbs more every week on the average for almost a year? No time off? No starting at less weight and going up again?

yeah take a break every 8 weeks.
when increasing strength, you should really try and change your core movements every three weeks, and record your weights.
A LA westside training.
It works, and you can use that idea in 5x5 or wahtever

So once you hit a plateau you take a week or so off, drop 40 or so pounds off the lifts and then start over.

It's like 2 steps forward and 1 step back. In the long run you make steady progress.

Right?

hellboy said:
So once you hit a plateau you take a week or so off, drop 40 or so pounds off the lifts and then start over.

It's like 2 steps forward and 1 step back. In the long run you make steady progress.

Right?

I don't know how needsize does it, but that is how I would do it. You can't train at 100% intensity forever. You do eventually hit a plateau. Hopefully he'll see this and tell us how he does it.

slyder190 said:

I have been doing 5x5 for about 7 weeks now. I am not sure if I will make my 5x5 on my next chest day. How do I transisition over to 5x3? Use my failed 5x5 weight or bump it up a bit?

This is how you transition over:
Originally posted by Needzize

Eventually no matter what you are doing or what you are on, the strength gains will come to an end. What I have found worked well for me was when I couldnt add more weight to the 5x5, I switched over to 5x3 instead, and was able to keep adding weight. The beauty there is that as you keep adding weight past where you were stuck on the 5x5, that weight you were stuck on will feel like a joke when you go back to it as you were just lifting more, albiet for less reps.
Here's an example I used when my squats went stale. I had been stuck on 405lbs for a while, but just couldnt get all my sets so that I could add more weight, so heres what I did.
week 1 410lbs 5x3reps
week 2 415lbs 5x3reps
week 3 420lbs 5x3 reps
week 4 425lbs 5x3 reps
week 5 430lbs 5x3reps
week 6 435lbs 5x3 reps
then back to 5x5
week 7 405lbs 5x5(now this felt really light after 435lbs)
week 8 410lbs 5x5
etc.......
But this time when I finally plateaued again, I was squatting 445lbs for 5's. Notice the weight increases were very small, percentage wise it was almost nothing, but see how it added up. When I first started the 5x5 routine back in the day, I was squatting 225lbs for 5x5, and since then the program has allowed me to put over 200lbs on my squat, and about 4" on my quads.

Top Bottom